v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Venomous dagger V Flagstone's Pride

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Piggy the Slayer
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Venomous dagger V Flagstone's Pride

Post by Piggy the Slayer »

Just switched from Flagstone's Pride to the Venomous dagger while grinding for the ElyR. Why I didn't do this before - silly Piggy just didn't look at the math. Getting so many more critical hits of around 55-60HP. I'm sure this point has been raised before. The message is if you are fairly new to this have not found/recently found the Venomous dagger -do not sell it when you do!!
For those who did sell it - What were you thinking? Suprised I didn't sell it - sort of thing I would normally do.
Level:145 AC: 428% BC:170% DR:4 AD:78-90 AP:12 HP:750 BSS.
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Re: Venomous dagger V Flagstone's Pride

Post by Mino »

Selling the venomous dagger is easily my biggest regret in this game, and I'm too far into it to start over (as far as I'm concerned).

As for what I was thinking... I wasn't. I didn't know much about the game at the time, didn't understand the critical hit concept and at first glance it just seemed weak because of the low AD and AC, when compared to the steel sword. At least I kept the Flagstone's Pride, that critical hit really comes in handy.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
kendraso

Post by kendraso »

Still have my dagger, but sold flagstones pride because it was worse than the dagger imo
Gus_Almighty

Post by Gus_Almighty »

I really think they should make a game option for you to go back and refight for items that could have been sold.

Either that, or make the sold items stay at the shop they were sold at so they can be obtained again, even if for a big amount of money.
Rory Mac
android_version: 4.0

Post by Rory Mac »

Andor's Trail is a strategic game, a battle of wits if you will. You have to weigh your decisions, sometimes in light of the unknown. Every decision, both good and bad, will have an impact on the game and your character. If the opportunity were given to correct a poor decision made early in the game, I think that would lessen the value to those who made the better decision in the same situation. I realize this may sound a little harsh, but I feel that if you made the poor decision to sell your venomous dagger, an item that was designed to only drop once per game, then you should suffer the consequences of that choice. As I recall, the number of gold pieces you receive for it is pathetically small. The equivalent to wacking a few more snakes or beetles, I think.

Just my opinion.
Base: |LVL 60|XP 3892000|GOLD 123000|HP 95|
Equipped: |AP 3|AC 271|AD 24-31|CHS 36|CM 4.5|ECC 21|BC 111|DR 4|
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android 4.0.4 |RoLS 1|ElyR 0|RoL 0|WP 385|UPD 2012/11/05|
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

Rory Mac wrote:Andor's Trail is a strategic game, a battle of wits if you will. You have to weigh your decisions, sometimes in light of the unknown. Every decision, both good and bad, will have an impact on the game and your character. If the opportunity were given to correct a poor decision made early in the game, I think that would lessen the value to those who made the better decision in the same situation. I realize this may sound a little harsh, but I feel that if you made the poor decision to sell your venomous dagger, an item that was designed to only drop once per game, then you should suffer the consequences of that choice. As I recall, the number of gold pieces you receive for it is pathetically small. The equivalent to wacking a few more snakes or beetles, I think.

Just my opinion.
This is also my opinion and the opinion of Oskar. You have to live with the decisions you did. (selling items that would not come back to the game, siding with prim, BWM, vacor, unzel... - later quests will depend on your decisions, upgrading stats and in the future skills, etc.) This improves replayability for the game. On the second run you can make everything "right". (or on the third one. ;-) )

However the next update will improve transparency to rare items. (highlight)
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Gus_Almighty

Post by Gus_Almighty »

Hopefully its soon.
Rolling Thunder
android_version: 2.2

Post by Rolling Thunder »

The shadow of the slayer is also a good weapon. But what are the stats of the venomous dagger?
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

Samuel wrote:
Rory Mac wrote:Andor's Trail is a strategic game, a battle of wits if you will. You have to weigh your decisions, sometimes in light of the unknown. Every decision, both good and bad, will have an impact on the game and your character. If the opportunity were given to correct a poor decision made early in the game, I think that would lessen the value to those who made the better decision in the same situation. I realize this may sound a little harsh, but I feel that if you made the poor decision to sell your venomous dagger, an item that was designed to only drop once per game, then you should suffer the consequences of that choice. As I recall, the number of gold pieces you receive for it is pathetically small. The equivalent to wacking a few more snakes or beetles, I think.

Just my opinion.
This is also my opinion and the opinion of Oskar. You have to live with the decisions you did. (selling items that would not come back to the game, siding with prim, BWM, vacor, unzel... - later quests will depend on your decisions, upgrading stats and in the future skills, etc.) This improves replayability for the game. On the second run you can make everything "right". (or on the third one. ;-) )

However the next update will improve transparency to rare items. (highlight)

I pretty much agree with Rory and Samuel too. That being said, I also wouldn't complain if I somehow got my venomous dagger back. On the current version 0.69 you can't sell unique drops - the "sell" button is greyed out and lists 0 gold for Sword of Shadow's Rage and Barbed dagger.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
qasur

Post by qasur »

I can agree with you on the whole "you make decisions and have to live with em", except that's not intuitive from the start of the game. Players generally don't realize how good Venomous Dagger + Jewel of Fallhaven is, and since they get Venomous Dagger *so early* in the game, it's easier to sell it to pay for a +6 Damage Ring than to keep it *in case* something good comes along.

I think the problem comes from not understanding the few aspects that make Andor's Trail borderline broken. I didn't download the game because I wanted to tweak out a perfect AC-only, dagger-weilding, jewel-totting beast. I wanted an enjoyable game that wasn't Bubble Burst that I could pick up and play from time-to-time. Making a phone-based game that has severe consequences like that should be written out somewhere.

Maybe at the start of the game, mention something in Mikhail's dialogue that "your decisions cannot be reversed in this universe, so choose wisely" or something. I had no idea that the dagger would be good. When I compared it to the Steel Sword, it sucked. I had not seen and/or didn't know anything about the Jewel of Fallhaven yet. Considering that, was it stupid that I sold the weapon? I don't think so. I would suggest that it's idiotic that the best weapon in the game is essentially found in like the 2nd dungeon that I began clearing very early in the game.