Do you like extraordinary and legendary items?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.

1) I play Andors Trail between releases. (just to gain levels or items, not for quests etc.)
15%
2) I do hunt for this items.
17%
3) I do not hunt for this items.
1%
4) I think this items are the reason that I play between releases.
11%
5) I find it frustrating to hunt for this items.
12%
6) I would skill some skillpoints to a skill to increase the drop ratios.
11%
7) I would like to completely remove this items.
No votes
8) I would like to stop introducing more of this items.
No votes
9) I would like to introduce more of this items.
18%
10) There should be more extraordinary items (drop chance 1/1000) instead of legendary items. (drop chance 1/10000)
16%

Total votes: 141

Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

Hope I added all necessary answers to the poll.

Originally Oskar didn't mean us to hunt for the items, but instead getting the items by chance. Currently he is disappointed about the frustration about them. He considers not to add any more legendary and extraordinary items.

a) Could you guys take a stand why you would like to include more of this items, when most of you are frustrated about hunting for them.
b) I also would like to know why you hunt for them when you are frustrated about it.
c) What would make it less frustrating?
d) What other reason/things could be there to play for free. (without quests, etc)

I voted for 1, 2, 4, 9, 10
Last edited by Samuel on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Do you like extraordinary and legendary items?

Post by Antison »

I voted for 1,2,4,6,9
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
qasur

Post by qasur »

I think the legendary items are cool, but one option should definitely be "Legendary items need to be stronger" too. I just got the RoLS, but in all honesty, it's not much better than a +6 DMG ring, which I can buy in the game. It has that extra 5% Crit and Regen of 1 HP/6 seconds, but that's not a lot. Those make it simply better than the +6 DMG ring, but almost not enough to really say it'll last. Once more is added to the game and monsters begin to become so strong, the RoLS is going to look pretty weak.

Right now, I carry the RoLS and a +6 DMG ring. If I'm fighting on BWM, I use the +6 ring (w/Steel Sword... sold Flagstone's Pride) to have both higher AC and higher DMG. When I'm traveling the world, I'll use the RoLS (with Shadow of the Slayer) so I don't have to use a lot of potions. But, for as long as it took for me to kill and get it (a few weeks) it should be probably be better.

I think the same can said for one of the Legendary swords. Basically no one wants to use it because it's really not that good. Huge AP requirements and minor bonuses don't combo well with the two insane Daggers the game has or Flagstone's Pride. I think people only hunt for them because it's about all that's left between 0.6.9's release and the 0.7.0's release.
tailings

Post by tailings »

I think the Extraordinary and Legendary items are a fun diversion and add depth to the game. However, caution needs to be maintained that these sort of items never become essential for the game. The extreme grind required to get one would quickly make the game misery if these items became 'must have' items. Or even if they become perceived as 'must have'. A player should ALWAYS be able to complete the game without requiring these items.

I currently have a Ring of Lesser Shadow (RoLS) and Elytharan Redeemer (ElyR). The ElyR is a good sword, perhaps equal to the other two or three best weapons in the game right now. However, its use is strictly optional and a matter of player preference.

On the other hand, the RoLS is the best ring in the game. The 15% AC and +3 AD is equal to the +6 AD of the +6 Damage ring, as both represent six levels of character advancement. However, the RoLS adds +5% Critical and the very useful Regeneration on top of that. Even so, RoLS is not essential. Regeneration adds a nice convenience that helps save on healing potions, but it's not so powerful that it creates an Ubercharacter.

Most importantly, the developers need to be careful that essential quests and areas do not require the use of Ex and Leg items to complete the game. For example, a new area may developed in the future, with monsters that deal electric damage. A Leg item might then be introduced that offers protection from that electric damage. However, the new area should still be navigable without the aid of the Leg item, ie, the nature of the electric damage should not be so extreme as to require the use of the Leg item.

That's my take.
Rory Mac
android_version: 4.0

Post by Rory Mac »

I would suggest a twist on #10. I'd like to see extraordinary items in addition to (not instead of) the legendary items. Also, I don't understand what #6 is asking.

Tailings, great post. I agree completely with your point that balance is critical. I love my RoLS, but it absolutely should not be a necessity to obtain the legendary items in order to successfully play the game. On the other hand, I also agree with qasur that for all the work needed to obtain these items, they should definitely be a step above anything that can be purchased or drops fairly easily from playing the game. I think it's crazy that a dagger I obtained somewhere around level 4 is still arguably one of the best weapons in the game.
Base: |LVL 60|XP 3892000|GOLD 123000|HP 95|
Equipped: |AP 3|AC 271|AD 24-31|CHS 36|CM 4.5|ECC 21|BC 111|DR 4|
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android 4.0.4 |RoLS 1|ElyR 0|RoL 0|WP 385|UPD 2012/11/05|
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

I went with 1,2, 4, 5, & 6.

Rory, #6 is referring to the Skills feature that is planned for the next update, you can read about it in the Developers section (I'm not a developer but I pretty much check out any new posts/topics).

I agree with tailings, in that it is important that while these items might make parts of the game easier, or more fun, it definitely shouldn't be necessary to complete any quests, since that would just add to the frustration factor.

But its definitely getting these items that keeps me playing between updates after I've completed all the available quests (that can be completed, of course). Either directly, by hunting for those items, or now indirectly by trying to gain xp to level up so I'll have more skill points in the next release and I can use some (most?) of them to improve the drop rate.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Rory Mac

Post by Rory Mac »

Mino wrote:Rory, #6 is referring to the Skills feature that is planned for the next update, you can read about it in the Developers section (I'm not a developer but I pretty much check out any new posts/topics).
Yes, I'm aware of the skills, however, I think there is a grammatical error in the statement, so I'm not clear on what we're being asked to vote on.
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

Rory Mac wrote:
Mino wrote:Rory, #6 is referring to the Skills feature that is planned for the next update, you can read about it in the Developers section (I'm not a developer but I pretty much check out any new posts/topics).
Yes, I'm aware of the skills, however, I think there is a grammatical error in the statement, so I'm not clear on what we're being asked to vote on.
English is not my native language, sorry. :?
I cannot change the poll, otherwise all replies would reset.

#6 means this: In the next update there will be a skill improving the drop ratios of legendary and extraordinary items. Would you put some skillpoints to this skill.

Some of you either did not read all answers or didn't realize one can check more than 1 answer.
#2 + #3 should be greater or equal to #9. ;) Its hard to make any statements this way.

Originally Oskar didn't mean us to hunt for them, but instead getting the items by chance. Currently he is disappointed about the frustration about them. He considers not to add any more legendary and extraordinary items.

a) Could you guys take a stand why you would like to include more of this items, when most of you are frustrated about hunting for them.
b) I also would like to know why you hunt for them when you are frustrated about it.
c) What would make it less frustrating?
d) What other reason/things could be there to play for free. (without quests, etc)

I voted for 1, 2, 4, 9, 10
Last edited by Samuel on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
slayer

Post by slayer »

I'm not frustrated by the search for legendary items. There's not anything else to do between updates except to start the game over. I'm looking forward to the skill that increases the drop rate though. :)
slayer

Lvl: 152, XP: 64525939, Gold: 2095292, HP: 219
AC: 400%, AD: 52-68, AP: 12/4, BC 254%, DR: 3
CS: 2 QL: 22 IF: 2 REGEN: 1 MF :8 FS:DW: 2 S:DW: 1 OHSP: 1 LAP: 1

RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 2, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 5, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 2
Rory Mac

Post by Rory Mac »

Thanks Samuel. Hope I didn't offend you. Your posts here are extremely appreciated, as it seems you have a direct line to Oskar in order to share his thoughts with us. I know that most of us appreciate having the legendary items to search for so I hope Oskar doesn't decide to remove them from the game. Obviously he does not intend for them to be necessary in order to complete the game, so that will alleviate one objection that was voiced. I do think that for the amount of work (or luck) involved in obtaining them, that they ought to be a little more powerful - at least the two weapons. The RoLS is probably fine the way it is, but I think the legendary weapons should be clearly better than the venomous dagger, or other fairly easy to obtain dropped or purchased items.

I think that if there were more of these items, especially some extraordinary items that drop a little more frequently, that might alleviate some of the frustration that is voiced here. I also think some of us may be exagerating the actual amount of frustration in an attempt to be more dramatic here on the board. It's fun to make a big deal in the forum out of how much effort we put into looking for these items.