v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Equipment - The Good and The Bad

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Cervando

Re: Equipment - The Good and The Bad

Post by Cervando »

qasur wrote:I have the update to 0.6.9, but I have stayed away from Blackwater right now. Really, it's the stocking up on Bonemeals and the long trek over there that is tedious. (This game really needs like some teleport stones or something). But anyways, here's the new setup without Blackwater stuff available to me yet:

Hardened Leather Cap (AC -2%, BC 7%)
Ordinary Chain Mail (BC 22%, AC -5%)
Jewel Of Fallhaven (AP Costs -1)
Strong Wooden Tower Shield (BC 14%, AC -8%)
Ring of Damage +6 (DMG +6)
Ring of Damage +5 (DMG +5)
Fine Gloves Of Swift Attack (AC 17%, BC -9%)
Unzel's Defensive Boots (BC 8%)
Steel Sword (AC 24%, AP 3, DMG 3-7

Only reason for the +5 ring... was too lazy to save up over another 1000 gold just to get +1 more damage. I've been spending hours searching for RoLS, so I'd assume to replace the +5 one with it once I find it anyways.

I was carrying Fine Skin Gloves (BC 6%) and the FGoSA just to test them, and I found that I was just hitting for more damage much easier with the Swift gloves. The extra BC of 6 is really more like +15% (when you take away the -9% from the Swift gloves), and it was an improvement. Gargoyles and Masters and the like hit me every 3 attacks. Now, it's about 2 out of 3 attacks.

Overall, my character's stats are:
LVL 21
HP 50
AC 126%
AD 19-23
BC 51%

I think I put level'd points into HP (obviously) early on, then damage. Then, like others, I looked at what equipment I could buy to increase those same stats via leveling, and saw a +6 DMG ring (which is equivalent to +6 levels), so I stopped doing increasing damage when I leveled and decided that Attack Chace +5% was just better. With Jewel Of Fallhaven and getting 3 swings with the sword, the Higher AC has been best. I'm about to level again, but I'm probably going to go with +5 HP. I'm potion-wasting about 4-5HP when I use Bonemeals because of critical attacks. Having 60HP is probably good as it'll allow you to take a bunch of hits down to 15-20 HP, then Bonemeal without wasted healing.
Personally I would go with the fine leather cap as the hardened ones +1 BC is not worth the -2 AC IMHO. Similarly the Gloves of Better Grip, AC 9% and 1% BC, are usually better than either pair of gloves you tested. As for weapon's choice, it's more personal, but I like Flagstone's Pride or the Venomous dagger over the Steel Sword, as the crit chance helps one shot enemies.

As for future stats, I would go for AC, as many enemies have 90% block. Once you have at least an equipped AC of 155, then consider raising HPs. I prefer killing mobs before they hit me, so I focused mainly on AC and now AD and mainly let my equipment raise my other stats.
Level 40, AP 3, AC 195%, AD 21-22, CC 25%, CM 3, BC 60%, HP 60, 945 rocks, RoLS 1, RoL 0, ElyR 0

OR

Level 40, AP 2, AC 170%, AD 27, CC 0%, CM 0, BC 40%, HP 40, 945 rocks, RoLS 1, RoL 0, ElyR 0
qasur

Post by qasur »

Not knowing much about the game, I sold all of those other weapons... so I only have the Steel Sword as my best option. And, I've gone up three levels since I posted that (:)) and I swapped the Caps out already. And, the Gloves of Better Grip are located where? I have never seen them (and I have not been to Prim/Blackwater yet, and will go there soon, but not yet).

The Swift Gloves are pretty good I think. You take that -9% BC, but you gain +17% AC. Gloves of Better Grip is a loss of 8% AC, which is like a level-and-a-half of improvement. If the goal is to kill mobs before they hit you, then having more AC would get you there. You trade -8%AC for +10% BC with the Gloves of Better Grip. I think you're at more of a loss here then with the Swift Gloves. As of now, I have exactly 50% BC, so I'd only improve to 60% doing that upgrade in gear, but I'd drop to 128% AC (at 136% now after leveling 3 more times; put 2 in AC and 1 in HP).
Chest_Rockfield
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread
Location: Impeached former President of the Too cool for a RoLS Club. ;)

Post by Chest_Rockfield »

I was hoping there'd be a definitive set of equipment (things that almost all of the players use) but I guess it's kinda cool that we all use different stuff (think different combinations are better).

Currently I have found that the BW items, even when used in conjunction with each other to minimize the loss, is still not better than items from early in the game. I've been looking at the stats of the "Legendary items" and I'm still not convinced the RoLs is worth the time.

Ring of lesser Shadow
Attack chance: 15%- This is 3 levels worth of stats, but below, I lose 3 levels worth of stats.
Attack damage: 3- I'm giving up 3 damage here if I take off my +6 for this.
Critical chance: 5%- I don't use a weapon that can take advantage of the crit hit (I did the math a while back, and statistically, more consistent hits ultimately pays off better, especially when you can possibly one shot some of the creatures you encounter even without the crit hit), so the 5% crit bonus is worthless to me.
Actor condition: Regeneration- Not bad, but ~2hp during the course of a fight is nothing- I have 1,000 Bonemeal potions in my bag, and the time spent sitting around while I regenerate all the way up is not worth losing the exp & gold I could have earned instead just by popping a potion and moving on.
So basically all I'm doing is trading damage for attack chance, BUT the TIME I spend grinding for this item could have possible earned me a level or two grinding in the best place on the map (on the path up to BW there is a bed that immediately respawns 1,000 to 1,500 experience worth of creatures indefinitely.)

HOWEVER
The Elytharan Redeemer seems like it might be worth it.
Attack cost: 5- This would suck, except it gives you just enough bonus that you still get 3 swings like you do with the Steel Sword (the sword I believe to be the best other than this).
Attack chance: 25%- 1% better than Steel Sword (0.2 level)
Attack damage: 3-8- 1 max damage better than Steel Sword (.5 level)
Block chance: 5%- 5% better than Steel Sword (1.67 levels)
Boost max AP: 2- equals out the higher attack cost of the weapon
So you essentially get 2.37 levels worth of stats by equipping this item BEFORE you include:
Actor condition: Bless (gives 5% Attack chance) giving you 3.37 levels worth of stats.

The Rapier of Lifesteal should be considered bad by comparison without explanation.

So, my current lineup:
Fine Leather Cap
Ordinary Chain Mail
Jewel of Fallhaven (I don't know how anyone uses anything different)
Strong Wooden Tower Shield
Ring of Damage +6 x2
Vacor's Boots of Attack
Gloves of Better Grip
Steel Sword

Stats: Level: 46 Attack Cost: 3, Attack Chance: 224%, Attack Damage: 21-25, Block Chance: 51%

P.S. I hope Heartsteel makes any items you have better (in a forging sort of way) instead of being new items that are basically just equal but different than what we already have available.
P.P.S. Oskar, you and your team are amazing! Thank you so much for all of the time you spent building this wonderful game. I tell every single person I know that has an Android device to download and play it. I hope that you all never get bored of this project and I'm 60 before I find my brother! Thank you again so very much.
Lvl: 162, XP: 77,249,000, Gold: 2,508,000 RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 18, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 2
HP: 517, AC: 333%, AD: 60-61, AP: 3, CC: 90%, CM: 3, BC: 218%, DR: 0, BMP: 4k+
Cervando

Post by Cervando »

qasur wrote:Not knowing much about the game, I sold all of those other weapons... so I only have the Steel Sword as my best option. And, I've gone up three levels since I posted that (:)) and I swapped the Caps out already. And, the Gloves of Better Grip are located where? I have never seen them (and I have not been to Prim/Blackwater yet, and will go there soon, but not yet).

The Swift Gloves are pretty good I think. You take that -9% BC, but you gain +17% AC. Gloves of Better Grip is a loss of 8% AC, which is like a level-and-a-half of improvement. If the goal is to kill mobs before they hit you, then having more AC would get you there. You trade -8%AC for +10% BC with the Gloves of Better Grip. I think you're at more of a loss here then with the Swift Gloves. As of now, I have exactly 50% BC, so I'd only improve to 60% doing that upgrade in gear, but I'd drop to 128% AC (at 136% now after leveling 3 more times; put 2 in AC and 1 in HP).
I think the gloves of better grip are located in the second or third tailor you come across, not in the new expansion. They are much better than the gloves you use, because 8 ac is not worth losing 10 bc, as the latter are 3 1/3 levels worth and the former only 1 3/5. But it is up to you of course and whilst I build for high AC, I would rather spend levels on it as overall my build is more efficient.
Level 40, AP 3, AC 195%, AD 21-22, CC 25%, CM 3, BC 60%, HP 60, 945 rocks, RoLS 1, RoL 0, ElyR 0

OR

Level 40, AP 2, AC 170%, AD 27, CC 0%, CM 0, BC 40%, HP 40, 945 rocks, RoLS 1, RoL 0, ElyR 0
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

Chest_Rockfield wrote:The Rapier of Lifesteal should be considered bad by comparison without explanation.
I cannot confirm this. I look forward to get one of theese.
I think the main disadvantage will be the attack cost of 5. But on the other hand you will get around 5-8 HP on every kill.
I think this is much more than I get from them, so I will never have to heal anymore. (Plus I can use something else than the Jewel of Fallheaven)
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
qasur

Post by qasur »

Like Samuel, I think someone else mentioned that the RoL isn't quite that bad. When you're comparing most-number-of-attacks-possible for each weapon, ROL disappoints for sure. But, the fact that you don't have to waste a round using potions can be important too. I don't think it's a terribly bad weapon, compared to many you can buy, but it's also not an amazing weapon either.

Probably the best thing about it is that you can use another Necklace with it, and there are some decent ones out there (other than JOF). In fact, Irogotu's Necklace isn't bad (5% BC and 1 DR). Combime that with ROL, and you're not taking as much damage while also gaining 0-3 every now and then. Can easily keep you from needing potions.
Mino
VIP
android_version: 4.4 - Kitkat

Post by Mino »

I've recently "down graded" my armor, shield, and cap to the highest possible BC but with the least possible reduction in AC. At my current level, I can kill off most monsters before they can attack me, provided I attack first, so the higher AC is more beneficial than the extra BC.

So for armor I went back to Hard Leather armour (BC 13%, AC is not affected) because the chain mail had the AC reduction.

For cap I went back to Fine leather cap (BC 6%)

And for shield I went back to Superior wooden shield.

I actually had to repurchase these items but they're not as expensive because of the lower BC.
I tried out the Blackwater Mountain items, and combined you get a lot of BC, but as others have pointed out, the cost to AC due to blackwater misery is too high, so I'm sticking with Sword of Flagstaff or the quick strike dagger depending on if I want more AD or more AC. My signature stats are with the Sword of Flagstaff.
Lvl: 206 XP: 159262572, Gold: 1657119, RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 2, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 6, SRoV: 1, VSH: 6, WMC: 1, GoW: 1
HP: 241, AP: 3, AC: 562%, AD: 116-130, CM: 3.0, ECC: 38%, BC: 139%, DR: 3

QL 25, MF 3

12/26/18
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

Samuel wrote:
Chest_Rockfield wrote:The Rapier of Lifesteal should be considered bad by comparison without explanation.
I cannot confirm this. I look forward to get one of theese.
I think the main disadvantage will be the attack cost of 5. But on the other hand you will get around 5-8 HP on every kill.
I think this is much more than I get from them, so I will never have to heal anymore. (Plus I can use something else than the Jewel of Fallheaven)
I got one! :D :shock: :D
Its not as good as I thought, but definitely worth it.
See more: here
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Cervando

Post by Cervando »

Mino wrote:I've recently "down graded" my armor, shield, and cap to the highest possible BC but with the least possible reduction in AC. At my current level, I can kill off most monsters before they can attack me, provided I attack first, so the higher AC is more beneficial than the extra BC.

So for armor I went back to Hard Leather armour (BC 13%, AC is not affected) because the chain mail had the AC reduction.

For cap I went back to Fine leather cap (BC 6%)

And for shield I went back to Superior wooden shield.

I actually had to repurchase these items but they're not as expensive because of the lower BC.
I tried out the Blackwater Mountain items, and combined you get a lot of BC, but as others have pointed out, the cost to AC due to blackwater misery is too high, so I'm sticking with Sword of Flagstaff or the quick strike dagger depending on if I want more AD or more AC. My signature stats are with the Sword of Flagstaff.
Whilst I agree in part with you, there are more efficient ways of getting a high AC. I basically use the equipment that grants me the most level equivalents and raise my stats accordingly. Thus, I focused mainly on AC early on, but now I am raising my AD. Compare my stats to yours and you will see the benefit. I use the fine leather cap, ordinary chainmail, jewel of Fallhaven, strong wooden tower shield, Vacor's boots of attack, gloves of better grip, +6 damage ring, ring of shadow embrace and the Flagstone's pride or Venemous dagger. I equate this to mean I am just over 2 levels ahead of you, despite being only lvl 31 in reality.

OR