v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Fun Fact

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
DawnPhoenix
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Fun Fact

Post by DawnPhoenix »

The sprite for Vacor (the guy who wants to complete the rift spell) is a simple recolor of the sprite for the Summoner class in battle sprites for Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones... Don't believe me? Google is your friend ;P
Not sure if this was intentional as a little easter egg for those who've played Fire Emblem, and I knew the entire time that it was familiar somehow... but I wouldn't have even noticed if not for the fact that I was multitasking today playing both games at once. And before you ask: I still own my original GBA SP from the early 2000s. I'm old school like that. I have a Gamecube too, in case you were wondering.

Ahem. Anyway, that being said, nice easter egg you guys included for players like me.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Fun Fact

Post by Antison »

The sprite sheets are open sourced. Many different games use them
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

GameCube? That's nothing. I still have an 8-bit original NES
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
DawnPhoenix

Post by DawnPhoenix »

Antison wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:49 pm GameCube? That's nothing. I still have an 8-bit original NES
I don't have an NES, but I do have a Super Nintendo in the attic somewhere. Along with Donkey Kong Country and Super Mario World cartridges. Not sure what any of that is worth though...

NES is much more rare if I remember right.
Antison wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 8:48 pm The sprite sheets are open sourced. Many different games use them
It's possible that FE8 used open-source sprites, but they were the first game I've ever seen to have sprites of that style, so if these became open-source before Fire Emblem made them, I wasn't aware. But still, for those unfamiliar with Fire Emblem, I should probably explain. It goes back to the mid-90s. The mostly made their sprites to order for the games themselves, as it was made by a larger game company that had to avoid copyright infringement under penalty of probably getting sued and losing out on a lot of money from cartridge sales.

Even before FE8, they were doing sprites in the same style, many of which originated from the Fire Emblem series. Not to discredit your point, I'm only saying that these originated from Fire Emblem was all I was saying. As a hardcore fan of the games since around the time of FE9's release, I'm aware of a ton of details of each game (Up through FE13) and if you're interested, you need only ask :D
On the off-chance that you already know what Fire Emblem is, who's your favorite lord? Mine is Ike, because he was a commoner at the start and end of both games he was in.
Image related--how cool Vacor could be with a staff:
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

Is that Vacor while messing with the rift spell? :mrgreen:

Cool animations
Nut
DawnPhoenix

Post by DawnPhoenix »

Nut wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 9:16 pm Is that Vacor while messing with the rift spell? :mrgreen:

Cool animations
It very well could be, though these weren't designed by me, so I would not recommend using these for any projects without the author's permission.
The link for many sprites from Fire Emblem like these are here: https://feuniverse.us/t/fire-emblem-res ... 28?page=35
Not sure if we'd even be allowed to use some of the ones on the page I just linked, but it's definitely something to check first.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

It depends on their licensing. As long as they are free (to an open source, free project), and the licensing is less strict or equal to ours, we could use them. But we probably need to get them from whatever original source they got them from, not from them (we impose this restriction for the sprites we use).
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
DawnPhoenix

Post by DawnPhoenix »

rijackson741 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:24 pm It depends on their licensing. As long as they are free (to an open source, free project), and the licensing is less strict or equal to ours, we could use them. But we probably need to get them from whatever original source they got them from, not from them (we impose this restriction for the sprites we use).
I believe it was this page that houses the repository of open-source sprites for the game. IDK much about how the licensing works, so if you could tell me after taking a look at the license here, I would be most grateful. I would love to use some of these map tiles and sprites, after all.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

As far as I can tell, we can use them, but we must credit the original artist.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
DawnPhoenix

Post by DawnPhoenix »

rijackson741 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:52 pm As far as I can tell, we can use them, but we must credit the original artist.
Excellent. I may be modifying some of these, then, since I had a very hard time with the pose for the sprite I sent you. This will make life infinitely easier.