New Fighting Style: Duelist

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
WarWolf01
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

New Fighting Style: Duelist

Post by WarWolf01 »

Hello everyone, first time here. I have been playing this game for quite some time, but never posted anything. Just had this thought in mind, and resolved to share. Please, do feel free to argument the cons and pros ( not really an metaplayer, focused on the maths of the system ).

The idea is simple. As of now, we have 4 fighting styles: Two handed, Dual wield, Weapon and shield, and the new addition Way of the Monk. So the Duelist would be a new style. Its focus would be giving bonus when only wielding a single weapon ( the rapier in my opinion would be the most accurate, but it could be used with other weapons). Bonus to the A.C, B.C, and Crit chance and CritD. It would synergies with crit focused weapons and make those builds more clean.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: New Fighting Style: Duelist

Post by Antison »

Are you saying that you want a fighting style skill for those who are wielding a one-handed weapon and not using the second slot for anything?
Why are you playing like that? You're losing all of the benefits of the second slot.
Really the only reason to do what your doing is if you are lower than level 30.

I don't see the point in doing this. Just dual wield and get the benefits of the weapon, the FS skill and the proficiency skill.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Lam al Adie
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by Lam al Adie »

Well, you can question many decisions others make.

Wielding a one-handed weapon without using a shield has many role models (the three musketeers…) so that could be something to go for.
And leaving an open slot is an argument speaking especially against a monk style build.
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
Lvl:68 XP: 5728519 AP: 12/3 HP: 204 AC: 228 AD: 43-55 BC: 164 DR: 7
Skills: WA: 1 Do: 4 CS: 2 IF: 4 Ev: 2 Reg: 1 WP:1S: 1 AP:S: 1 FS:WS: 2 S:WS: 1
ROLS: 1 GoLF: 1
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

Role play, yes, that's a point.
Nut
Antison

Post by Antison »

Lam al Adie wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:41 pm Well, you can question many decisions others make.

Wielding a one-handed weapon without using a shield has many role models (the three musketeers…) so that could be something to go for.
And leaving an open slot is an argument speaking especially against a monk style build.
If you want to only use one weapon, then sobeit. You have many skills to support that. You can even use a two-handed weapon.

But I see no point in providing a skill applying only to one-handed weapons while only using one weapon. It's really kind of pointless and a waste of a skill point or points. Especially when most players using one-handed weapons will graduate to dual wielding.
And when they do graduate to dual wielding this hypothetical skill that they've already spent points on would go bye-bye. It would become wasted skill points
Antison

Post by Antison »

Lam al Adie wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:41 pm Well, you can question many decisions others make.

Here is your Three musketeer build.
Screenshot_20230704-113420.png
Screenshot_20230704-113437.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WarWolf01

Post by WarWolf01 »

Antison wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 3:26 pm

If you want to only use one weapon, then sobeit. You have many skills to support that. You can even use a two-handed weapon.

But I see no point in providing a skill applying only to one-handed weapons while only using one weapon. It's really kind of pointless and a waste of a skill point or points. Especially when most players using one-handed weapons will graduate to dual wielding.
And when they do graduate to dual wielding this hypothetical skill that they've already spent points on would go bye-bye. It would become wasted skill points

Well the idea is not only for roleplay sake, but also to have a new style of playing. Dual wielding is good, but I don't actually agree that leaving that slot open is a waste. If it is so, then going monk is a waste, just like two handed would also be. There are ways of countering that: giving bonus to crit, like more crit chance and multipliers; maybe even give a reduction to attack cost at max level; create other skills that would make fighting like that better, like an skill that can pass a threshold of DR, or an parry skill that can give a chance to ignore damage, or even an riposte that can deal an counter-attack or reflect a part of the damage back to the attacker ( of course, those skills can be open to all possible builds). Imo, the current fighting styles are lack luster and unbalanced, dual wielding being actually the strongest, and monk a little bit more behind it. I don't think that it is wrong to have more skills in the game, even more if they provide a new roleplay choice and an different playing experience.
Antison

Post by Antison »

No. Going monk is not wasted because there are supporting skills that make it worth while. Neither is two-handed for the same reason.

I've already expressed my concern about this idea in my previous post.
I am not a fan of this idea as this feels like a manufactured fighting style and not an organic one. It really feels like a "gateway" skill and not a final skill. I don't like the potential of the skill point waste aspect. I don't like the potential overpower of it. You're basically rewarding the player for not fulfilling all of the prerequisites of getting the dual wielding skill capabilities.
WarWolf01

Post by WarWolf01 »

You said yourself that monk and two handed are worthwhile because there are skills that supports then. So does this one: the same skills can be used for it. The only thing it lacks, is an specific Fighting Style and Mastery for it.

I also disagree that it would be a get away skill. It doesn't reward players, cause it would have it's strengths, but also handicaps: it would have a strong early game, that would decrease in the late game, because late game enemies normally have more HP and some are even immune to crit; it can be locked to only rapiers and either cloth or light armor; you would be unable to use the second slot effectively; also, rapiers are not really the most amazing of weapons: they lack damage, there are not a lot of them...

I understand your concerns, but I think it is an solid idea, that is also doable in due time.
Antison

Post by Antison »

Again, it is OP. Especially in the beginning of the game. Then later on it could be OP if it was implemented in a way that would prevent us from taking away all of this skill's attributes once the player graduates to dual wielding.
If it were implemented correctly in that we can remove the skill's attributes after the players moves on to dual wielding, then the skill becomes a "gateway" skill and thus becomes wasted.
Then we will get complaints (and rightfully so) from all the inexperienced players that didn't know about dual wielding or didn't know they would be locked in.