Old Friends, you can't tell Kaverin you know Unzel if you haven't killed Vacor

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Old Friends, you can't tell Kaverin you know Unzel if you haven't killed Vacor

Post by Antison »

gbro wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:18 am
Antison there's no "< level 10" mark on that quest, there's nothing warning you to complete all < level 10 quests before going east ,
AT is a free and open world for you to wonder, but there are strong monsters blocking your way through. That should be a clear indication that you shouldn't be wondering too far from the beginning if you're too weak to kill the monster.
Anything around the two starting towns are considered low level quests. It should be pretty intuitive to complete those quests for no other reason than to gain the XP to get stronger
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
gbro
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Old Friends, you can't tell Kaverin you know Unzel if you haven't killed Vacor

Post by gbro »

Antison wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:24 am Nothing needs to be patched here.
Really? Nothing???
Antison

Post by Antison »

Not related to this quest. It does not need to be and will not change.

You were the first and only person that's ever run into this.
Like nut said this change is way too risky for very little gain
Antison

Post by Antison »

What about those thieves that stole Vacor's rift? Did you have a problem killing them?
Or how killing the men west of the Crossroads guard shack?
What about the leaders of Prim and Blackwater mountain?
Are we going to start fixing all those quests too?
The answer is 'no'
gbro

Post by gbro »

If you know a person but the game forces you to say that you don't until you have done something else that's a bug.

I don't know why that's hard to understand.

If this forces the player to do something very hard, in the eyes of the player only because of the bug, then it's a serious bug.

Which could be solved simply by making the dialog coherent! That making the dialog coherent without making Kaverin give you the message is very hard it's another matter.

The second part of my original message was instead a proposal for a somewhat substantial modification of the quest (making Kaverin give you the message even if you haven't met Unzel).
That's a separate aspect.

Anyhow, there's a problem, and I conceded right away that it might not be possible to solve it soon, if ever.
But claiming that there's no problem only because it's complex to deal with it is wrong; you're free to place it last in a stack of "maybe at some point someone will do something about it", but if you deny that there's a problem in the first place it becomes completely impossibile that it will ever be fixed, and that's just wrong.
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

gbro wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:21 am Anyhow, I had prepared a first patch proposal:
Although I like this kind of humour we won't put such things into this game. :)
The hero just doesn't know that he is in a story/game, and we like to keep it that way.

I agree that there is a problem. But I also think that the amount of work to fix it is by far too much compared to the benefit.
Nut
gbro

Post by gbro »

Antison wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:28 am It does not need to be and will not change.
Speaking like that would be wrong in any case in an open source project, but in this case I believe you're not even the leader of anything...

Antison wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:28 am You were the first and only person that's ever run into this.
No, I had read for sure of at least another user, I'll see if I manage to find the thread

Antison wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:28 am Like nut said this change is way too risky for very little gain
That's an excellent reason for not making this change as I had already conceded, there was no need to get difensive (if you are a developer here you're a volunteer and no one can pretend that you do anything)
gbro

Post by gbro »

Nut wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:27 pm
gbro wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:21 am Anyhow, I had prepared a first patch proposal:
Although I like this kind of humour we won't put such things into this game. :)
The hero just doesn't know that he is in a story/game, and we like to keep it that way.
It was indeed a joke Nut, I really didn't expect that someone would take that seriously... ;)

Nut wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:27 pm I agree that there is a problem. But I also think that the amount of work to fix it is by far too much compared to the benefit.
Yes that's completely acceptable
Antison

Post by Antison »

It is not feasible to start playing "defense" and trying to account for every single permutation or use case for what a player can and can't do. Having this kind of mindset would take us years to create quests.
There is no way we can account for obscure edge cases like players sneaking off to Remgard without having completed such a low level quest.
I'm sorry this is just the fact

The Vacor quest is 12 years old.
The connecting quest in Remgard is about 10 years old.
You are the only one I've ever seen that brought this up as an issue.
gbro

Post by gbro »

Antison wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 11:27 am Anything around the two starting towns are considered low level quests. It should be pretty intuitive to complete those quests for no other reason than to gain the XP to get stronger
The main tenet of the game, repeated all the time, is that there are consequences to what you do, so it probably seems intuitive to many players to delay assassinations until you have confidence that it's the best thing to do.