Old Friends, you can't tell Kaverin you know Unzel if you haven't killed Vacor

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Old Friends, you can't tell Kaverin you know Unzel if you haven't killed Vacor

Post by Antison »

That's a fair point, but what is your main issue?
The fact that you had to go all the way back to Fallhaven?
The dialogue is what it is. It is not worth the risk and effort to "fix" for one person.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
gbro
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Old Friends, you can't tell Kaverin you know Unzel if you haven't killed Vacor

Post by gbro »

Antison wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:51 pm It is not feasible to start playing "defense" and trying to account for every single permutation or use case for what a player can and can't do. Having this kind of mindset would take us years to create quests.
There is no way we can account for obscure edge cases like players sneaking off to Remgard without having completed such a low level quest.
No one pretends that quests be perfect in every detail and from their first release, but if a problem is found later I think you should be open to fixing it, so long as a new player risks running into it

That you have then to balance the problem against the resources available to fix it, test it, and the risk of introducing other issues, is obvious and I just meant to begin a discussion, or at least leave a note for future consideration .
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

The bottom line here is there's nothing here to "fix".
I really don't understand what your problem is with the dialogue.
You know full well that you didn't kill Unzel. You know who he is.
Big deal that the dialogue doesn't say that you do. You as a human being know that you did meet him. It's even in your quest dialog.
Just go back to him and finish the job. You're not going to get credit for not finishing the job by allowing you to continue the quest in Remgard.
We're not going to perpetuate or facilitate or encourage your neutral or non-committal style. Just pick one side or the other and move on. So many players have multiple players that differ from one another based off of branching decisions like this one.
It's one of the big reasons why AT has such high replayability.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
gbro
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by gbro »

Antison wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 1:03 pm That's a fair point, but what is your main issue?
The fact that you had to go all the way back to Fallhaven?
The dialogue is what it is. It is not worth the risk and effort to "fix" for one person.
My main issue is future players running into it, I told you it does not affect me anymore and I actually was aware of what I was doing (because I had read of it in that thread I'll try to find - and I began going towards Remgard as a joke, without any expectation to really reach it).

I understand it's a lot of effort and risk; if it were possible to only change the dialogue so that it makes sense and this entailed little risk and effort, I think it would be appropriate to do it (at some point). But unfortunately I personally don't see a way.

Well I meant to report a bug and possible improvements, I did it, if someone can pick it up at some point so much the better, otherwise it's not the end of world