v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Suggestions for drops from Sullengard forest animals

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Re: Suggestions for drops from Sullengard forest animals

Post by Osho »

Tomcat wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:36 pm For example, I think it's time to add better, but harder/expensive healing potions, as rescue items for those high-damage mobs.
Potions actually make game easier, esp if it cones with powerful bonuses, compared to say, upgraded sustenance or any other consumable items which offer benefits per rounds with a multiplier bonus.

There's also a very good potential for crafting or producing items from tons of dropped items which are currently useless in both value and use! Similar to system seen in Arx Fatalis game.
On the other hand, I disagree that the sole alternative is more grinding

I would examine my build, look for ways to improve it, ask around for suggestions on how, either here or the Discord, and try starting a new build, rather than just grind somewhere I've done everything interesting already until I'm over-leveled enough to overcome my inefficient build.
That's exactly the only approach I had mentioned -- improving stats!
There are no different builds IMO. You may start the game with focus on a particular stat but in the long run the only stats matter are AC, BC, D.

You may practice min maxing using wearable items for desired result at some point but overall there's no alternative to standard grinding for experience points that revolves in improving these 3 stats.

Only Monk comes close to a unique build type but again the associated skill needs some tweaks to make it worthy in the long run. Post L30 it's back to min maxing 3 stats only.
My current character has a tough time getting to Sullengard in the low 50s, but I can get there.
What made sullengard possible for me were using x4 sustenance items. Period! Nothing else really helped. Not even higher levels. I could've used bonemeal in hundreds of volumes but its my principle not to use quick health boosters that could make it look like a cakewalk. Sustenance items offered a perfect challenge without making it a walkover.
We need more creative, out of the box solutions to come out of this grinding for min maxing stats approach. It could be consumables, wearables or dropped goodies from monsters.

We can't change the systems or foundations on which game was build. Bringing variety of items is the best way to overcome the flawed skill system and limited stats based character development.

I know developers are also working on the same lines.
charnameLol
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by charnameLol »

Osho wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:48 am ...
What made sullengard possible for me were using x4 sustenance items. Period! Nothing else really helped. Not even higher levels. I could've used bonemeal in hundreds of volumes but its my principle not to use quick health boosters that could make it look like a cakewalk. Sustenance items offered a perfect challenge without making it a walkover....
Ah, okay. That's the issue I was unable to understand. I thought primarily it was the shortcoming of your build that made new monsters difficult to deal with. Now that I read that comment, I see that you like to have fun by relying on both the player stats and food items with more health regeneration per round. And you want to continue to have fun this way, but you cannot, because current consumables don't give you the level of multipliers and rounds you need to keep up in the way you want.

Hmm. Now that I see things this way. While I did take many a grinding-rounds of Sullengard forest and my stats are reasonable enough to get me through that whole forest it comes to me that I did rely on bonemeal potions a lot too. If I ever decide to take the harder path for my build not to guzzle on health boosters but only rely on food items than I can see that the whole thing would become too difficult because the food items would not be up to the expectations of my build. So the maps with powerful monsters, in effect, are not allowing a player to move away from the usual formula of "hard stats + potions", yet still enjoy the game.

Okay. Would it not be better if you mention that your build stats and available potions makes your character capable enough to deal with current challenges offered by the game? That build stats is not the issue per se. The issue is the excessive reliance on stats and potions against more powerful monsters reduces your fun. Cause your idea of fun is not to overly rely on potions. Second, increasing/upping stats is much harder because of massive XP needed to level up at higher levels. So a way to still have fun would be to have more better food items. And that these food items are much useful for players whose playing style matches yours.

Is that it? Did I get it wrong?
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

charnameLol wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:14 am The issue is the excessive reliance on stats and potions against more powerful monsters reduces your fun. Cause your idea of fun is not to overly rely on potions. Second, increasing/upping stats is much harder because of massive XP needed to level up at higher levels. So a way to still have fun would be to have more better food items.
Perfectly summed up!

I am interested in anything besides stats. I mentioned food items because of it's sustenance effect. I have also used rings like poison immunity, ring of venom against specific monsters, incl potions removing conditions during battles. Also using a damage resistance items when grinding in certain areas. So depending on the challenge I try to figure out a solution based on items game has to offer! Rather than grinding for experience points to improve a stats after level 50 or so. It's painfully boring beyond it. Not worth the time and effort if one knows how to use items in tricky situations. Though it comes at a cost, which does take grinding to keep your balance of gold running. LOL
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

I disagree with you about monk builds being the only alternative build type! In fact, I will argue that there are about 17.

I've added a couple of new healing options in the project that I'm currently working on.

It still don't think any of you picked up on my subtle hint last week that there are other healing option items available on the new maps that you have just not discovered yet
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
charnameLol

Post by charnameLol »

Antison wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:20 am It still don't think any of you picked up on my subtle hint last week that there are other healing option items available on the new maps that you have just not discovered yet
Aside from items offered by Deebo and the Snake meat is there any new addition I have missed and could look for?

There was one item (maybe a herb, don't remember) which I found at the edge of Sullengard forest. And for some reason I don't see any type of berries on the Sullengard map even though I have scoured it many a times.
Antison

Post by Antison »

there are berries. Lots of them
charnameLol

Post by charnameLol »

Antison wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:04 pm
Yeah, that's the problem. On the AT directory I see them scattered. Lots of them. But I have never discovered even one of them!!

How come? Could this be a bug? I have level up from lvl 76 to 84 in these new maps, so it's not like I did not cover the obvious regions where these berries could be found.
Antison

Post by Antison »

charnameLol wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:08 pm
Antison wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:04 pm
Yeah, that's the problem. On the AT directory I see them scattered. Lots of them. But I have never discovered even one of them!!

How come? Could this be a bug? I have level up from lvl 76 to 84 in these new maps, so it's not like I did not cover the obvious regions where these berries could be found.
Man, everybody thinks there's bugs whenever faced with a challenge.
put on your gardener gloves and you'll find them
charnameLol

Post by charnameLol »

Antison wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:04 pm Man, everybody thinks there's bugs whenever faced with a challenge.
put on your gardener gloves and you'll find them
Oh come on. You gotta be kidding me. Was there ever a hint that the player needs to put on that item in order to find those new items? Maybe an NPC hinting that there are some delicious things to be found but you gotta need this item first? May be I missed the hint when I was grinding everything under the Sun. :D
Thanks for the suggestion though.
Antison

Post by Antison »

If you have them, then you know how they work. When you are exploring new maps, it may be a good idea to wear them.