v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Idea for the most useless but dangerous item in AT

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Idea for the most useless but dangerous item in AT

Post by rijackson741 »

For now, we can discuss them here. If it gets too detailed then we may have to move elsewhere. That can be arranged.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Lam al Adie
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Post by Lam al Adie »

Ok, some things in the story might depend on what's possible without changing the engine (too much).

I've been thinking a lot about what could be done. so I came up with some ideas.
- the "beating to near death" thing: there's three solutions.
  • change the engine, so the player does not lose a life upon dying. May be too much effort.
  • just beat the player to death. A lesson to be learned. May be a bit too harsh on players with limited lives.
  • make sure the friends do beat you up very hard, but give a chance to escape by beating them (hard to adjust, but may be possible)
- the question, what having that [insert name here] junk thing with you might mean.
I was thinking along the lines of the silver Scale. It's too long ago, i had it upon me, but that's too long ago. So i need to ask.
Was the silver Scale an item stored in my inventory?
are actions like _wear_, _use_, _sell_, _drop_ properties that can be applied to an item?
Is it possible to make the junk an item, that can be eaten, but not be dropped nor sold (at least anyone outside the quest)
If so, I'd make you have three or more in your inventory.
  • owning them makes you a terrible merchant (getting only 40% of the normal gold for an item, paying 200% of the regular price) So you will have a strong motive to get rid of three items of junk
  • eating one gives you a terrible stomach ache (you lose much AC and BC and you lose 2-3 HP for _many_ rounds).
  • perhaps this can't be cured by sleeping?
  • realizing what you have done might lead you to imemdiately eat the second one, just to get over with the pain. that's a bad idea, because the effect is stackable.
  • this might be a strong enough motive to sell the rest to the fool, leading to the very unpleasant meeting with the friends.
  • either way (having eaten all junk or having sold it) you get rid of the terrible merchant affliction.
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
Lvl:68 XP: 5728519 AP: 12/3 HP: 204 AC: 228 AD: 43-55 BC: 164 DR: 7
Skills: WA: 1 Do: 4 CS: 2 IF: 4 Ev: 2 Reg: 1 WP:1S: 1 AP:S: 1 FS:WS: 2 S:WS: 1
ROLS: 1 GoLF: 1
Lam al Adie

Post by Lam al Adie »

getting back to the "beating up":
can we set the players DR to 0, no matter what he wears or what skills he has? that could make the calculations for the beating easier.
I'm at lvl 74 with 228HP, BC 167, AC 228, AD 48-60, DR 7 (11 with chainmail mittens an Lord Erwyn's ring)

I was thinking of 7 friends beating you simultaneously (the eights space is taken by the fool).
they cold have something like AP2/10 AC180, AD 3-7.
If you have no DR, they will take ~5HP on every hit. With 7 attackers and 5 tries each they will drain more than 100 HP (at 60% successful hits).
So you'll need to deal with them quickly or they will kill you just because of the mass of hits they can deal.
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

The silver scale was not realized as item but as an infinite actorCondition.
At the moment we can't hinder the player to drop any item. But it would be a nice thing to have, because it would make cursed items possible :twisted:
Maybe we can change the engine to that, but don't expect it soon.

Conditions are either for a fixed amount of rounds, they always get cured by sleeping. Or they are infinite and can't be cured by sleeping.

About beating to near death, I don't think there is a good solution possible at the moment. We could use it too and already discussed it. We would need an engine change here too. It's possible and it would offer nice quests, but it is the same here: don't expect it soon
Nut
Lam al Adie

Post by Lam al Adie »

So to me it looks like it's all about actor conditions. Which ones can be used, which events trigger them, which ones make them end.

If there's a way for the script to get info on your current statistics like DR or merchant skill, it might be possible to (repeatedly) give you an actor condition that lowers that stat to a certain level.

If it's permanent, one can define, how to get rid of that.
The curse of the silver scale was given by 'buying' it and was ended by bringing back the scale.

So when you buy the junk, you get three items plus the first curse. You can't sell them (as you can't with rotten meat)
If you eat one, you'll get curse number 2, curse 3 for eating the second, curse 4 for eating the third.
To get rid of the curses 2, 3 and 4, you need to find the potion maker that can cure you. Each may be a different one.
To get rid of curse 1 you need to find the fool.
If you have previously eaten the junk, he'll look at you knowingly and release you. Otherwise you have to sell the rest of your junk and go through the fight.
If you survive, you'll gain the cure, otherwise you have to go back to the fool and offer your excuses.
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
Nut

Post by Nut »

Could be that we'd need another engine change: to activate an actorCondition if you just possess the item.
At the moment items with actorConditions activates these only when used/worn.
But I am not sure if this would be able to check quick enough to not delay the game too much
Nut
Lam al Adie

Post by Lam al Adie »

The way I described it, you get the first actor condition, when the agressive marketender gives you the three pieces of junk and meeting the fool takes it from you. That's a condition not activated by possessing the item, but by some other trigger. That's just part of the quest, you already did it with the silver sale or the rotworm.
The other actor conditions are activated by eating (using) the junk. If these are not possible to be made permanent, then they might at least be nasty.
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
Nut

Post by Nut »

If you eat it, you can get an actorCondition, sure.
But at the same time you should get the former actorCondition removed, and that won't happen
Nut
Lam al Adie

Post by Lam al Adie »

which former actorCondition do you mean?
Why 'should' it be removed? And what are the reasons that that won't happen?
Having junk should be something you really don't want, once you know what it means. So perhaps getting one condition could add something (different) to the first instead of removing it?
Since you are in a quest, you may have much freedom in how the story (simply) makes things happen to the player.

Can you check for the value of a certain stat like DR an set the actorCondition base on that value?
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Lam al Adie wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:36 pm Can you check for the value of a certain stat like DR an set the actorCondition base on that value?
No. What we can do is actually very limited. We can inflict a condition if you equip an item or via dialogue. That dialogue may not be visible to you, but then it is ties to a specific map location (or locations). If a condition is inflicted by dialogue then either it expires on a timer, or it must be removed by another piece of dialogue.

We cannot alter your skills from within the game content. Only your base stats. We cannot check your base stats and base what we do on that.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1