v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Extraordinary and legendary items

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Extraordinary and legendary items

Post by oskarwiksten »

Dreia wrote:I'm have to admit this announcement makes me a bit sad, as these weapons are pushing the game towards a grind fest and I was really hoping for a game more quest related. Killing a hundred or so mobs to get an item is one thing, killing thousands is just not what I consider fun. I had hoped that the RoLS was a temporary gimmick to keep people playing while 0.6.9 was being worked on, not that it would become a permanent part of the game strategy. Give me a story, give me a reason to fight things. For a young kid on a quest to find his brother, stopping along the way to kill thousands of gargoyle trainers or wyrms or such just doesn't seem right.
I am really sad to hear that you do not enjoy either the new quests nor the addition of new items like these. I create the game in an effort to make a great gaming experience for the players, and one of the strong parts of Andor's Trail that I want to do is a compelling and believable story that should force the player to make decision based on his or her moral guidelines. By far, the most time consuming task for releases is making the new quests and dialogue, and there is a lot of hard work by all of the volontary developers put into this alpha version. The alpha version that is out now again doubles the amount of dialogue available in the game, hopefully adding depth to the world, and is an attempt to have a reason to fight things. Granted, it does not continue the main story since these areas were not planned to be affected by the trail that Andor left. Would you prefer the game if it had fewer side-quests but instead only focused on the main quest?

Would you have liked the game more if these items were not included in the game? Maybe we should have waited to release this early alpha until more of the main story had been written.
/Oskar
Dreia

Post by Dreia »

...Um...no if you read my statement your response is not addressing anything I said and in fact is the exact opposite. Quests and dialog = Awesome, mindless grinding = Not so Awesome. It's not even an issue with the item being in the game, it's an issue of that item not having any real connection to the game and instead being a trivial status symbol that tells everyone else how much time you spent killing mob after mob. If I didn't like the game I wouldn't be here on this forum, and I wouldn't be messing around with map making (note that I was intending to also include monsters quests and items with these maps)

Just a suggestion . . .change the extraordinary items to be 0.5% drop chance and legendary items to be 0.1% drop chance. That would reduce the grind portion. Keep up the good work, I hope that in my own time and way I will be able to help in some small way.

~D
~Level 33~
~HP: 65 ~ AP: 2 ~ AC: 143% ~ DMG: 23 ~ BC: 32% ~
Small Rocks: 1000 RoLS: 0
allanon

Post by allanon »

oskarwiksten, I think Dreia was just saying how much he likes the story element in the game and enjoys the quest part in particular, as do I.
Andor's Trail is an awesome game, not too complicated, yet so well designed and enjoyable and we all thank you and everyone who contributed for all the effort - its really appreciated!
Looking forward to trying out the new release when its available.
cheers
Level: 42, XP: 1311277, Gold: 92789, RoLS: 1
HP: 50, AC: 225%, AD: 23-28, AC: 3, CC: 15%, CM: 2, BC: 40%, DR:-
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

Dreia wrote:I'm have to admit this announcement makes me a bit sad, as these weapons are pushing the game towards a grind fest and I was really hoping for a game more quest related. Killing a hundred or so mobs to get an item is one thing, killing thousands is just not what I consider fun. I had hoped that the RoLS was a temporary gimmick to keep people playing while 0.6.9 was being worked on, not that it would become a permanent part of the game strategy.
I disagree. IMO the game is not pushed in this direction. There were 2 lines added for this Legendary Items and thousands for Quests and stuff.
Oskar doesn't have a crew of 5 quest writers that could add new content every week. So the next release (after 0.6.9) will arrive in 1, 2 or even 3 months from now.

So if this 2 lines help the "24-hour-players" to pass time with the new release it is good. (everyone hunting is doing it because he wants to.)
When Andors Trail is finished there is no need to hunt for the Legendary Items anymore. Here and there someone will get one and will be happy about it.
Dreia wrote:Just a suggestion . . .change the extraordinary items to be 0.5% drop chance and legendary items to be 0.1% drop chance. That would reduce the grind portion.
Perhaps this really could be adjusted somehow.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
michischmid2000

Post by michischmid2000 »

I agree, the game itself and the quests are awesome. For me it's the best free rpg game for smartphones.
But what i don't like much for a singleplayer game is grinding.
The drop chances for those special items should be increased....
/Michi... can be found at STEAM!
hobo2

Post by hobo2 »

Dreia wrote:These are not yet available unless you are testing the alpha. I'm have to admit this announcement makes me a bit sad, as these weapons are pushing the game towards a grind fest and I was really hoping for a game more quest related. Killing a hundred or so mobs to get an item is one thing, killing thousands is just not what I consider fun. I had hoped that the RoLS was a temporary gimmick to keep people playing while 0.6.9 was being worked on, not that it would become a permanent part of the game strategy. Give me a story, give me a reason to fight things. For a young kid on a quest to find his brother, stopping along the way to kill thousands of gargoyle trainers or wyrms or such just doesn't seem right.

~D
I wholeheartedly agree with this. The game is very enjoyable while questing and exploring but the battle system is just not conducive to that type of grinding. I can appreciate they idea of holding players' interest between versions but the drop rate is just too low. I gave up on the RoLS after about 500 stones. Way too boring.
Looking forward to the next release and new quests,but not interested in spending hour upon hour repeatedly killing the same monsters.
Rory Mac
android_version: 4.0

Post by Rory Mac »

Really ridiculous anal question here: Is RoL properly spelled Rapier of Lifesteal, or should it be Lifesteel? In other words, does it steal the life away from whomever you hit with it, or should it be steel referring to the metal it is made from?
Base: |LVL 60|XP 3892000|GOLD 123000|HP 95|
Equipped: |AP 3|AC 271|AD 24-31|CHS 36|CM 4.5|ECC 21|BC 111|DR 4|
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android 4.0.4 |RoLS 1|ElyR 0|RoL 0|WP 385|UPD 2012/11/05|
michischmid2000

Post by michischmid2000 »

Please, please, please Oskar, increase the drop chances of those items in 0.6.10 :!:
/Michi... can be found at STEAM!
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

Rory Mac wrote:Really ridiculous anal question here: Is RoL properly spelled Rapier of Lifesteal, or should it be Lifesteel? In other words, does it steal the life away from whomever you hit with it, or should it be steel referring to the metal it is made from?
Just look in the first post of this topic.
It's a Rapier of lifesteal and it steals life. :D
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Rory Mac
android_version: 4.0

Post by Rory Mac »

Samuel wrote:
Rory Mac wrote:Really ridiculous anal question here: Is RoL properly spelled Rapier of Lifesteal, or should it be Lifesteel? In other words, does it steal the life away from whomever you hit with it, or should it be steel referring to the metal it is made from?
Just look in the first post of this topic.
It's a Rapier of lifesteal and it steals life. :D
Thanks. That's why I posted the question. I wanted to make sure what was typed in the first post wasn't a typo. At first I assumed that it was until I thought about it and the stealing life concept occured to me. BTW, great work putting together all that information.
Base: |LVL 60|XP 3892000|GOLD 123000|HP 95|
Equipped: |AP 3|AC 271|AD 24-31|CHS 36|CM 4.5|ECC 21|BC 111|DR 4|
Samsung Galaxy S3 - Android 4.0.4 |RoLS 1|ElyR 0|RoL 0|WP 385|UPD 2012/11/05|