v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

advantages/disadvantages of fighting bare handed

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
kabbie1882

Re: advantages/disadvantages of fighting bare handed

Post by kabbie1882 »

Mino wrote:Interesting discussion, I'll have to give the barehanded fighting a try sometime.

I have a question for anyone playing the Alpha test version for 0.6.9...is the Heart Stone quest going to be complete-able after the update? The smith who talks about it mentions that it would allow for more powerful weapons, so I was just curious.

Thanks, if anyone can answer!
I actually went to him first thing after getting the first alpha. Nothing changed with him and after a full day of playing I have NOT found any "Heart Stone".

I doubt that that it is in 0.6.9 at all. It is not listed in the change log that I have seen.
Ha Ha, Made you look.
Czar Kloos

Post by Czar Kloos »

I tried the bare handed fighting for awhile and I didn't really like it but it does have its positives
Level: 18, XP: 102435
Gold: 5132, RoLS: 0, SR: 46

I take on one day at a time... unless they all decide to attack at once

Creator of Andor's Snuggie along with ctnbeh13
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

Perhaps the action points needed to attack barehanded should be adjusted from 3 to 4.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
Czar Kloos

Post by Czar Kloos »

That would make it more balanced

Cervando

Post by Cervando »

Alternatively give barehanded a massive block penalty as it is difficult and dangerous to block weapons with bare hands. Also, give longer weapons an advantage when initiating combat so daggers and fists would increase the chance of the mob striking first. After all, he is a rogue not a kung fu master.
Level 40, AP 3, AC 195%, AD 21-22, CC 25%, CM 3, BC 60%, HP 60, 945 rocks, RoLS 1, RoL 0, ElyR 0

OR

Level 40, AP 2, AC 170%, AD 27, CC 0%, CM 0, BC 40%, HP 40, 945 rocks, RoLS 1, RoL 0, ElyR 0
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by oskarwiksten »

I think this is a really interesting topic. While I had not considereed unarmed combat to be an option intially, I would really like the game to give you the option of chosing the best combat option available, given the circumstances. Thank you allanon for exploring this interesting topic!

I would be interested in adding things that enhance the combat abilities of a player that chooses to go unequipped. This fits with my view of the experience of what Andor's Trail should be: different for each player, according to her or his choice(s).

What are your ideas of how we could improve unarmed combat even further? I am thinking we add skills to the next version, do you think there are some skills that we could add that improve such combat abilities?

Excellent ideas allanon, Cervando and Dreia. I am interested in hearing more of your thoughts!
/Oskar
Cervando

Post by Cervando »

Well as unarmed is already too powerful care would be needed in making it more useful. Assuming you took my advice re a massive block minus and initiative loss, adding a cestus as a glove option could add some damage and reduce the block disadvantage too. Katars could be another option and to simulate their armour piercing properties you could give them an ac bonus and even the ability to ignore some damage resistance. I know technically punch daggers are not unarmed, but they are used to punch rather than the way most blades are used.

Also, you could add boots that increased bare handed damage to simulate kicking and even boots with hidden blades in the toe caps.

Whilst it would be nice to have proper martial arts, these are simple additions that would require simple changes. However, I would love to see dual wielding and 2 handed weapons first, as has been suggested already.
Level 40, AP 3, AC 195%, AD 21-22, CC 25%, CM 3, BC 60%, HP 60, 945 rocks, RoLS 1, RoL 0, ElyR 0

OR

Level 40, AP 2, AC 170%, AD 27, CC 0%, CM 0, BC 40%, HP 40, 945 rocks, RoLS 1, RoL 0, ElyR 0
Dreia

Post by Dreia »

here is my own thoughts on bare handed fighting

no weapon equipped:
4AP attack
-25% damage
-20% defense
+5% accuracy
each successful hit removes 2AP from your opponents next round

You could also add in things like gloves or brass knuckles that would not count as a weapon and so keep the bare handed status but allow you to upgrade your stats (IE one that adds another -1AP or something)

~D
~Level 33~
~HP: 65 ~ AP: 2 ~ AC: 143% ~ DMG: 23 ~ BC: 32% ~
Small Rocks: 1000 RoLS: 0
Czar Kloos

Post by Czar Kloos »

I like that except it takes away 2 AP from your opponent, I feel that should only happen with a specific item.

Dreia

Post by Dreia »

Many games use bare handed fighting to sap peoples energy levels. Without the -2AP the rest of the stats would make it pointless to go bare handed.
~Level 33~
~HP: 65 ~ AP: 2 ~ AC: 143% ~ DMG: 23 ~ BC: 32% ~
Small Rocks: 1000 RoLS: 0