v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Maps west of Stoutford

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: Maps west of Stoutford

Post by Tomcat »

Developer's section is better, I think. And yes, new maps need new monsters/Npcs with dialog, fights, and quests. Do you have a storyline in mind?
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
codingpcjatristan
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

Post by codingpcjatristan »

Yes I do
codingpcjatristan wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:24 am I was thinking maybe several tribes around the area having a war/disagreement. Maybe about resources/people. Or maybe relating to the different factions (Kazaul vs Elythara followers).
It would then be up to the character to settle it somehow.
E.g. A tribe in the bogs to the south are trying to resurrect some fallen Sakul monster in the canyon.
And how do I go about the content e.g. Mobs and NPC's?
Stats: https://bit.ly/2BN3ulU
Just another way to get past the word limit :D :lol: :D
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

There is a tentative idea of what faction the Sakul would be connected to, which may or may not work with your ideas, but it is only tentative, and a good alternative story for them might win out. The Contribution Guide here on the forum discusses how the content is developed past the mapping.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
codingpcjatristan

Tomcat wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:29 am There is a tentative idea of what faction the Sakul would be connected to, which may or may not work with your ideas, but it is only tentative, and a good alternative story for them might win out. The Contribution Guide here on the forum discusses how the content is developed past the mapping.
What about the Kazaul?
There have already been Kazaul Monsters such as the lich.
Could use a resurrected Kazaul monster.

Also, I'm not quite sure about how to approach the layering of the bridge. I want my char to be able to walk across it and under it as well.
Can the char walk on the object layer?
Thanks in advance.
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

I like it much too. It has been through an amazing development from your idea and first draft version to this now. 8-)

I miss one thing though: the shadows for the left rim. They would give some more depth to the canyon. And it's the style of every other map.
Here an example how it is done on the way to Remgard.
waytolake0.JPG
Will it be possible to walk through the canyon? I hope so. When I look at your map I immediatly want to get down somehow and wander through it. And maybe get ambushed anywhere :o
(It could be even possible to walk over and under the bridge. This is a bit tricky, but I could help you with it)

Concerning the content, I'd recommend that you do start with an independent side story. It gets very complex really quickly, when there are connections to other parts in the game. It could be e.g. just 2 local tribes in rivalry.
Or maybe you even add some NPCs without any complex quests, like the different tribes in the green maze (Morkins, …)

It's all up to you and what ideas you can imagine for your map.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nut
codingpcjatristan

Oh ok. Thanks heaps for the awesome suggestions.
What about One tribe awakens a monster, and another tribe retaliates by creating another monster?
The character would need to settle the dispute by killing both monsters at once in a fight.
Regarding the bridge, do you want me to just send you the tiled file?
Do you want it as is, or with the monsters?

Lastly, is there a way to test the map before submitting it to the devs?
Edit:
The link to the content editor appears to be broken :(
I'm not sure how to add signs and hidden items now...
And what is the difference between spawn and spawngroup?
What does the spawngroup property do?
Seriously, lastly, how does one control the movements of a monster?
E.g. Create a path for the monster to move?

Thanks heaps.
Nut

Post by Nut »

That's a good idea with the tribes and their monsters.

With the bridge, I didn't meant to do it but I can give some hints how to do it yourself, if you want:

First create one version e.g. where you can walk over the bridge. The pink tiles in Walkable layer restrict the hero to leave the path.
Then duplicate the Walkable layer to e.g. Walk2 + Walk3, and change Walk2 so that you are walking down at the ground.
Most Walk2 tiles should have been left at the same place. Create 2 areas (e.g. rpl1 + rpl2) in Replace object group around the bridge, so that every changed walkable tile is in this area.
Then define 2 pairs of script areas: north+south and east+west.
When passing over north/south then set a quest step, when passing over east/west then reset this quest step.
Rpl1 shall be displayed when the quest step is set, Rpl2 shall be displayed when the quest step is not set.
At last you'll need another Above layer, where the bridge tiles are copied to. Why? Because you want to go _under_ the bridge when you are in the canyon.

That's the idea how to make a bridge.
Nut
codingpcjatristan

Ok, thanks.
I get the idea (it’s a good one), but just have a few questions on how to execute it.
So how do I duplicate the walkable layer, keeping all the other tiles in place?
And what is a replace object group?
I'm guessing it's in the tutorial though, so I will take a look.
Do I need access to the content editor to use the mapchanges layer, as described in the tutorial?
The link seems to be broken.
Or, do I just name the signs what I want the dialogue box to show, and the hidden items, the item name?
Lastly, what is the spawngroup property and what does it do? How does it differ from using just the quantity property for mobs?
Thanks.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

The shadows on the left are a must have. Other than that, the map looks great.

The link to ATCS is broken? I just tried the one here and it works: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4806

Nut's description of how to both walk under something and over something is a tantalizing clue. But not much more :lol: Look at guynmart_wood_3.tmx for an example.

A spawngroup allows you to spawn monsters randomly. For example, if monster_a and Monster_b are both part of spawngroup monster_1, and you place a spawn area that uses monster_1 and spawns N monsters, the N monsters will be a random selection of monster_a and monster_b.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Nut

Post by Nut »

Duplicate a layer by right-click it.
All the layers are created in tiled. The script areas and (I think) the replace areas can be done in ATCS.

A spawngroup is a set of 1 or more monsters, that can spawn. E.g. you have a spawngroup with monsters A, B and C, where 5 Monsters should appear. Then you might have A+A+B+C+C or A+B+B+B+C, etc.
Nut