v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Most potions are useless

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Valdemar
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Most potions are useless

Post by Valdemar »

At least I get such feeling from playing the game. Ointment of bleeding wound costs about 200 gold, while even if you fight with multiple bleeding-wound inflicting enemies it's much easier to eat the bonemeal potion, since all of them combined are very unlikely to cause over 40 damage, let alone over 40*4 damage (since you can buy 3-4 bonemeals for one bleeding wound ointment). So even if I have full stock of this potions I'd rather consume the bonemeal potions. Same goes to food poison antidote which costs 68 coins. Potions of speed, focused accuracy and so on have rather weak effect while they costs over tenfold of bonemeal. So again it's easier to kill stronger enemies without consuming potions of improved combat and rather to spend a bit more time and then heal later.
One of potions costs whole 5000 coins and is working only for several cycles.

Maybe there should be some potions which raises stats permanently so they are worth getting, or maybe they should work for a lot of cycles so you can clear whole cave after consuming one potion for example?

Same goes to blessings of shadow from Loneford's priest. They have too little time so they will expire before you can approach strong enemeies, since enemies in immediate vicinity of Loneford are very weak at this stage.
Schmmiiirc
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Most potions are useless

Post by Schmmiiirc »

It may be the 21st century, but the world is not short of "Snake Oil." There's not much new in life and AT is no different.

I've never bought an "Ointment of bleeding wounds," but all my characters have plenty in stock and I use them if I need to, or in other circumstances I just wait a few rounds.
See the puppies scatter.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

I completely agree about the blessings of shadow from Loneford's priest.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Valdemar
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by Valdemar »

Schmmiiirc wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:16 pm It may be the 21st century, but the world is not short of "Snake Oil." There's not much new in life and AT is no different.

I've never bought an "Ointment of bleeding wounds," but all my characters have plenty in stock and I use them if I need to, or in other circumstances I just wait a few rounds.
Of course it's dropped by goblins in Charwood. But I always sell it all and use bonemeal potions instead when appropriate.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

just as in real life, not everything is priced according to it's usefulness (or what you perceive as it's usefulness). Some potions are useful, even if only short term, and as you get further into the game gp can become plentiful, so cost is not much of an object.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
mainmap
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by mainmap »

I get the impression that bonemeal potions, the usage of which are explicitly tracked in your character stats, are meant to be the cheap and easy way, but doing a bonemeal-free run will be a specific challenge you can go for. Kinda like doing Nethack entirely blindfolded. Thus a lot of alternatives to the easy way.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

Bonemeal is illegal! Be careful.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
CKork
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by CKork »

Just grind a RolS.
A) many potion drops (no bonemeals, so legal)
B) health regen once you get one

;-)
Andor's "Vanilla" Bro
:ElyR x1:RolS x2:RoflS x1:RoL x2:HoF x1:ChaR x2:GoLF x1:ShaF x2:SRoV x1:VSH x3:WMC x1:GoW x2:BD x1:HS x2:
LVL 35 (+24 dmg, 2x IF, next to no quests & unique bosses, xp saved 2get2 lvl 80 straight)
Bugfrag
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Bugfrag »

I bought the most useless (and quite expensive) potion:
:twisted: Potion of quick death. :twisted:

Hopefully someone will develop a hidden quest around it.
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Post by Tomcat »

For now, it's just a way to use bed teleport when you're too strong to be killed by the local monsters, at least killed quickly and reliably. I never use bed teleport anymore - seems antithematic to me - so I leave it alone.

But it's quite possible that someone will do something with it at some point.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6