v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Best gear

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Best gear

Post by oskarwiksten »

In your opinion, what is the best gear currently available?

What type of gear would you like to have more of?
/Oskar
CaptainDoug

Re: Best gear

Post by CaptainDoug »

So far the best gear I've figured out is to have 2 +6 damage rings, the flagstones pride sword, Jewel of fallhaven, hardened leather shirt(for the damage resistance), vacors boots of attack, fine gloves of swift attack, and the shield and cap don't really have too much effect. as you can tell, I am an all out offensive player. All of my leveling up went to my attack percentage and a little to my health. If I can take someone out before they can touch me, then why would i need defense? I think a little bit off topic, it's easy to be successful as an offensive strategist but defensively, there isn't a whole lot to grab on to. Have I missed something? Anybody play defensively?
ecthelion

Post by ecthelion »

I have a bit of a well rounded character. Flagstaff's Pride, Jewel of Fall haven OR irugotu's necklace. I mention the second necklace as it has damage resistance with no negative block chance, and other damage resistance options involve a great drop in block chance. Fine Gloves of Swift Attack. Ring of Damage + 6. I am still sporting a ring of block 10%. Vacor's Boots of attack. Fine leather cap. Superior wooden shield. Hard leather armor. I did not care much for the jinx ring. Will probably go with the damage resistance body armor if I level more in block chance. Seems to me like the venomous dagger could have used 1 less AP
mutaka

Post by mutaka »

I keep hearing about +6 damage rings. Where do I find them? Thanks for the help
CaptainDoug

Post by CaptainDoug »

They're in the east of fallhaven. I think the guy in the tavern sells them.
ecthelion

Post by ecthelion »

I would like too see more heavy martial weapons. I think someone has already touched on two-handed weapons and even dual wielding in the issues section. I could go with the higher AP use and block down percentage if there were some bonuses. Like, a slight critical hit chance for two-handed weapons.
shark4507

Post by shark4507 »

I use the same set up as captiandoug but I use the quick strike dagger I get 5 swings per try with it
Siegurt

Post by Siegurt »

The +6 (And +5) damage rings are sold by the blue thief-looking fellow in the tavern in your starting village.

The best weapon depends on your total bonus damage, and whether you're using the jewel of falstaff,

Where your total bonus damage is (the amount you get unequipped+the amount of bonus damage you get from equipment not including your weapon)

If you're level, say 10, have put 5 points of bonuses into damage, and have two +5 damage rings, that would be a total bonus damage of 15.

I'll give some examples, using the TBD moniker to list to indicate Total damage bonus

All of the best weapons in the game have comparable to hit bonuses, and only 1 of them has a different AP cost.

The best early weapon is sold by the smith in the first town, the steel sword.
Steel Sword: +24% TH, 3-7 dmg, 4AP
This is either 2 or 3 swings a round, assuming you hit each time you have a total damage of:
TBD0: 5 per swing, 10/15 (with Jewel)
TBD5: 10 per swing, 20/30
TBD10: 15 per swing, 30/45
TBD15: 20 per swing, 40/60
TBD20: 25 per swing, 50/75

The other "buyable" best weapon is the quick strike dagger, no damage bonus, but fast to swing (in fact the same as going unarmed):
quick strike dagger: +20TH (-20 Block), 0 dmg, 3AP
That's either 3 or 5 strikes a round:
TDB0: 0 per swing 0/0
TDB5: 5 per swing 15/25
TDB10: 10 per swing 30/50
TDB15: 15 per swing 45/75
TDB20: 20 per swing 60/100

Note that this is the same as unarmed damage, but with a better to hit chance, and worse block percentage. Since to hit percentage is cheaper than block percentage, unless you are going for "I don't care if they hit me I will kill them first" unarmed may be a better choice.

The other two weapons which are good are available in quests/dungeons:

Flagstone's pride: +21% TH, 1-6dmg, +10%/x2 Crit, 4AP
The addition of critical strike bonus damage makes the damage calculation a little more complicated, however you can boil it down to:
200% damage, 1 out of 10 times = 20% more average damage, making our damage chart look like this:

Flagstone's pride strikes either 2 or 3 times with the jewel
TBD0: 4.2 per strike, 8.4/12.6
TBD5: 10.2 per strike, 20.4/30.6
TBD10: 16.2 per strike, 32.4/48.6
TBD15: 22.2 per strike, 44.4/66.6
TBD20: 28.2 per strike, 56.4/84.6

Finally we have the venomous dagger:
Venomous Dagger:4AP, +20% TH, 1-2 dmg, +20%/x3 Crit:
Not much base damage, but the crit bonus is excellent:
300% damage, 20% of the time = +60% bonus from crit.

Again 2 strikes without the jewel and 3 with:

TBD0: 2.4 per strike, 4.8/7.2
TBD5: 10.4 per strike, 20.8/31.2
TBD10: 18.4 per strike, 36.8/55.2
TBD15: 26.4 per strike, 52.8/79.2
TBD20: 34.4 per strike, 68.8/103.2

As you can see, the steel sword is good if you have a very low TBD, and the quickstrike dagger (or unarmed) are better if you have very high TBD, Flagstone's Pride is good with moderately low TBD, but it's slightly higher base damage gets overtaken by the better critical damage of the venomous dagger fairly quickly.

Overall the venomous dagger has the best damage on average at moderate-to-high TBD, however the quickstrike dagger will do more consistent damage, at the expense of a significant blocking penalty.

I like the quickstrike dagger for one shotting smaller critters, and switch to the venomous dagger when I'm tackling bigger foes (Both because I expect them to get at least one attack back, and because the extra damage will more often be useful, smacking a 100 hp critter for 60 in one hit is more useful than overkilling a 20 hp critter for 60)
CaptainDoug

Post by CaptainDoug »

.... People like you make this world a better place.
Siegurt

Post by Siegurt »