v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Download size

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
oskarwiksten
Captain Awesome
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Download size

Post by oskarwiksten »

This is a question that I have been thinking about for a while, but haven't made up my own mind on yet.

What do you feel about the download size of the game, or apps in general. What is the acceptable limit to how large an app is allowed to be for you to download it?
Andor's Trail is around 5 MB right now, and I feel that this might be somewhat high compared to other apps on Android Market.

Should we work to reduce the filesize of the game? I think this is very much doable, since there is a lot of graphics that is distributed now that is not used.
Or is the filesize irrelevant?

/Oskar
/Oskar
lizardninja

Re: Download size

Post by lizardninja »

personally.. I dont think its an issue! upto 20mb is perfectly acceptable, anything over that is also fine, as it can be stored onto the mem card anyway! so I wouldn't worry about it.
Athlor

Post by Athlor »

I still believe efficiency is relevant. The tiles could be cut down to 256 color pngs and many other single pictures could be cut down to 16 color pngs as that is all they really use and there would be no noticable visual difference. I think cutting the filesize in half is possible.
lord midnight

Post by lord midnight »

We should fill up a whole 700MB CD. Like full length psx rpg.

ok, seriously, I see AT hitting 32-64MB real easy, but there needs to be 64MB of new exciting stuff to see and do.
Maybe a bit of music and some animation. My cheap phone is a 600mhz ARM. My next phone will be a cheap 800-1.2ghz ARM. It will have like, twice as much RAM and storage.

The real barrier here is not how big Andor's Trail should be, it is in how can we load the content we are using efficiently to keep it running smoothly. We could have a lot more content, an exponential amount of graphical resources, and hit 25MB, still we under 32, and have a game that people would download. Even raising the content to the third power, at 125MB, would still be a pretty small game, when you think about video games.
People are going to want to see some animation and listen to music for that.

If you dont have much animation, keep the tileset rather limited, and fill it up mostly with dialogue, mapdata, quests items and such, 32MB is still plenty small, and will continue to be so over the next five years.
AND/OR's ...
lizardninja

Post by lizardninja »

125mb of andor's would totally own! only got 600 mhz too, also only got around 160mb phone mem.. but who cares, bring on the happy times is what I say! 125mb ROCKIN!!
Last edited by nyktos on Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited for content