v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Beginning levels that need quests?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.

What levels need more quests to avoid grinding?

1-5
5%
6-10
42%
11-15
20%
16-20
33%

Total votes: 141

rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Beginning levels that need quests?

Post by rijackson741 »

You get some XP associated with the rat tails.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Brussel

Post by Brussel »

Idk about u all, but the initial quests are great and the new initial quests being added are great too.

But idk, the grind in AT doesn't sucks
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Post by Antison »

We have made a lot of tremendous additions to the early game to reduce the grind. But IMO, we need to eliminate/reduce the grind from levels 13-20.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

We all agree about this. We have made very big improvements in this regard for the early levels, but we do need more ways to get experience at the intermediate levels. We are working on it.
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

Antison wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:36 am We have made a lot of tremendous additions to the early game to reduce the grind. But IMO, we need to eliminate/reduce the grind from levels 13-20.
For me level 24 is the point where I really feel putting the game down. Until then grinding is not an issue, at all. Yes, I know I've complained a lot in the past, but with experience, I can level up upto 24 with minimum grinding. Very dependent on the choice of areas. I am left with 3 choices once I reach 24 - Remgard, Green Maze, or Charwood to speed up the levels without grinding!
To back my claims, here's the proof.
Level 33 with very limited grinding. >> viewtopic.php?p=70033#p70033
Level 24 finished Green Maze - viewtopic.php?p=70059&sid=55285dfe524a6 ... d36#p70059

So, clearly levels 13-20 are not a problem. The problem can still be of earning gold during early levels but not at all about collecting EXP.

Also, the missions you have been adding for early levels are really annoying and not at all interesting as they hardly give enough EXP or collectibles.

I'd request developers to not spend efforts in early levels upto 20. Rather level 25 onwards with top notch missions that give maximum EXP.

For early levels earning gold is the actual problem.
Antison

Post by Antison »

I completely disagree. By level 24 you should be working your way to Prim and up and down the mountain. Grinding is not necessary at this point.

"Also, the missions you have been adding for early levels are really annoying and not at all interesting as they hardly give enough EXP or collectibles."

I'm done with you! You are the most ungrateful person I've seen on this forum in a long time.
draze

Post by draze »

Antison wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:06 am
"Also, the missions you have been adding for early levels are really annoying and not at all interesting as they hardly give enough EXP or collectibles."

I'm done with you! You are the most ungrateful person I've seen on this forum in a long time.
:o Oh noes! Osho received a red card :!: and maybe you haven't experience to be a programmer :| from where you will literally burned out or lost of motivation because of such negative feedbacks (like this one) and the so-called "expectation vs reality". If I were Osho, I would rather help volunteered programmers rather than that continuous downfall feedbacks.
Your quest has been fulfilled! It's time for a nap.
Antison

Post by Antison »

draze wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:19 am
Antison wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:06 am

:o Oh noes! Osho received a red card :!: and maybe you haven't experience to be a programmer :| from where you will literally burned out or lost of motivation because of such negative feedbacks (like this one) and the so-called "expectation vs reality". If I were Osho, I would rather help volunteered programmers rather than that continuous downfall feedbacks.
Exactly, my friend.

This is a pretty old thread. It would be nice if people revoted as it would give us a lot more insight as to where we need to do some work.
Osho
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Osho »

Antison wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:06 am I completely disagree. By level 24 you should be working your way to Prim and up and down the mountain. Grinding is not necessary at this point.

Well, my point was not to make you feel bad. Check my history. I rarely criticise missions, but given the thread we're discussing, I thought it was important to share my views on whether adding more simple errands, really help resolve the grinding in question - if we strictly talk about the net outcome in priortising the levels 13-20 compared to larger, complex missions that provide high EXP gains, when grinding actually becomes an issue (for me), like L20+ or 24+

I can complete Prim area before L24 easily. It is a good grinding area itself to improve my stats before entering Green Maze.

I've experimented a lot with areas in approaching them at different levels, and my experience tells me, early levels upto L20 don't take much grinding, be it for money or EXP.
My total earnings from doing missions alone was enough to get the items needed to enter Green Maze. Perhaps, for others, it might not be the case, and grinding may be needed to get more gold.

I start actual grinding only in Green Maze, for both better value items to sell + EXP to gain. Easy to reach L24 from L20.

L24 onwards is where I start getting bored of the grinding. Most areas are completed except Remgard, Charwood, and the Guynmart castle. I do leave a couple of difficult missions for later, but not much to make a difference to grinding overall.

In short;

Gold is the biggest issue early levels - if folks don't want to attempt areas like Prim, or Green Maze, Charwood.

Grinding (for EXP) is a major pain once I am stuck with very few areas that are anyways difficult to attempt, and takes a lot of EXP time to improve my stats before finishing these areas one by one, and that's L24 onwards.
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

@osho bear in mind that you are judging this from the point of view of an experienced player. If you step back from that, and look at it as a first time player, does that change things? Because most of our players are first time players.