v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Quest Hints, not tutorials?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

Quest Hints, not tutorials?

Post by Taledus »

I see every quest has been listed and most of them have in-depth explanations of what to do. Ultimately this was probably done to assist people, and it is even in spoilers, but what about just listing very useful hints of the quest instead.

I know I am all for information to be open and out in the public for better collaberation on ideas, but it makes it way to easy to speed through the game and then there goes the fun. I have copied all of this over to the new wiki and have made similar suggestions on just listing hints instead, and for in-depth & step-by-step stuff be left in a development section...this way critical collaberation can take place without providing the oportunity to ruin all the fun of the game.
fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Re: Quest Hints, not tutorials?

Post by fiernaq »

Some people (me) need the complete answers available somewhere. We won't necessarily need them all but if we get stuck on a quest we need to be able to look up the answer, not just some "hint". If we get stuck it's because we've already exhausted all other options that we could think of and giving us a "hint" will only frustrate us even further. Getting a difficult quest with no straightforward answer or ambiguous clues does not motivate me to try harder... it makes me wish the quest writers had considered the limits of the English language and knew how to write the quest better.

That being said, I can understand that some people don't want the answers and that they would prefer to sit there until they figure it out on their own. That's great. More power to them - just don't open any spoilers if you don't want to be told the answers to the life, the universe, and everything. Easy.

On a side note, I would support the consolidation on quest questions/answers to a basic FAQ about each quest. Similar questions can be merged and new questions can be added but trim it down to one thread per quest and keep cutting out any new posts by merging/adding the questions to the OP FAQ.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
Taledus
android_version: 4.0

Post by Taledus »

Currently they are all consolidated on the new Wiki. Once it is given approval then things will be in 1 place. Even though they are already stickied on the forums here, the new Wiki makes things look much cleaner and much easier to find.

However, if things seem very difficult to comprehend as far as language barriers go, that is an issue that would need to be addressed, either through better use of language, or locating a volunteer to translate to be more correct for the different languages.

You raise valid point though, which was something I had initially thought of, but moreover thought that things being too detailled would derail from the fun of exploring and trying new things.

Ultimately if just hints were provided then there would be a bunch of posts on the forum asking for specific dierections, which I believe was the intent of writing everything down an putting it into stickies in the first place.

On a personal level, I am still making my way through stuff. I was able to transfer everything over to the new wiki without spoiling anything for myself. I didn't pay attention because I think it would ruin some things for myself...if I need help though I know its there :)
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

i think that having one of each would be ideal.

:D

this was just my first step towards a legitimate Walkthrough / F.A.Q...

now that we have more help, things like this will be much easier to "get to"

VERY cool!

:twisted:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

fiernaq wrote: I can understand that some people don't want the answers and that they would prefer to sit there until they figure it out on their own. That's great. More power to them - just don't open any spoilers if you don't want to be told the answers to the life, the universe, and everything. Easy.
Well put! +1

There are a few quest help threads that have been put together, The one Nyktos has done are more hints or points them on the right path.

I did one a while back that is in detail. (I will see if i can locate it)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
shantismurf
android_version: 3.1 - Honeycomb

Post by shantismurf »

Taledus wrote:Currently they are all consolidated on the new Wiki. Once it is given approval then things will be in 1 place. Even though they are already stickied on the forums here, the new Wiki makes things look much cleaner and much easier to find.
I have been searching for this wiki and don't see any links to it, or mention of it in any of the more recent meeting notes. Is it still in progress? Is it something that can be linked in the mean time? Even a little consolidated information would be useful!

Btw, first post! *waves* This seems like a great community!
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

here ya go! andorstrail.com/wiki

and welcome to the boards!
great to have a new member!!!

:D
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

shantismurf wrote:I have been searching for this wiki and don't see any links to it, or mention of it in any of the more recent meeting notes. Is it still in progress? Is it something that can be linked in the mean time? Even a little consolidated information would be useful!

Btw, first post! *waves* This seems like a great community!
Welcome friend to the forums! This is a fantastic community! If you have any questions, conserns, ideas, etc please let us know! We are built by the sweat of a few hardworking developers and by suggestions from our players!

Welcome!

-Pyrizzle

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!