v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Leveling speed?

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
AndorOz
android_version: 2.2

Leveling speed?

Post by AndorOz »

Allos all. Figured I'd register to ask a question I don't see addressed here - speed of leveling. I notice many of you have very high level characters, some multiple generations of them. I'm finding the game to be extremely slow leveling, at least for a mobile game. It seems like I've been level 8 forever, and farming gold/exp is fairly slow going (doing the "easy" snakes in the cave south of the first town.

Am I missing something? I started over, based on some of the posts here, from my level 5 char and now am weapon free (and oddly "slapping" appears to be better than my weapon use) and picked a better skill up, so that's all good, but seeing the exp bar barely move after 10-15m of play at such a low level seems wrong, somewhow.

Your advice, please? Or am I simply too used to the faster-moving mobile games typically out there? This feels almost more like an SNES RPG.
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Re: Leveling speed?

Post by nyktos »

Andor's Trail is different from most mobile RPG's...
it's a little old school, it's a little hard, and it's not a finished product.
(but it is free & always will be)

this forum is the best place to get help,
so for help - you are in the right place!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

these are just my opinions...
but - here goes!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

-tips to get strong fast-

when you level...
- get your base AD up to 5! lv2,3,4,5
- get your base AC up to 100%!
- don't use your level for HP (take Increased Fortitude @ lvl 5)
- dont use your level for BC (wait till later to build up)

when you gear up...
- rings are cheap ways to get strong!
- buy rings that increase AD & AC!
- examples:
~ Mikhail's Ring + Ring of Damage +1 (smart first purchase) then...
~ Two Rings of Damage +2 (very early = WOW) lots of options...

about money...
- ONLY heal with bread, unless it's an emergency.
- grind for meat to sell for gold (snakes & dogs)
- sell potions, dont drink them (buy more BREAD!)

watch your neck!!!
- Irgotu's Necklace is a must have until you can afford...
- The Jewel of Fallhaven - one of the most powerful items in the game.

(much of this will probably require elaboration, feel free to press for more info!)

i have a disturbing passion for this project!

:lol:

:twisted:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
AndorOz

Post by AndorOz »

Well, I guess I'm glad I asked now, as my next level I was going to buy HP so that I could get the regen skill. I guess I could just wait.

I've been doing the bread trick since I saw it. Much cheaper than my potions, but the snakes at this point still hit annoyingly hard. Where would I find the Irgotu's Necklace? I found the Jewel, and was (very) slowing grinding snakes for meat for it. If that's cheaper, I might be able to get better rings. I have two brawling ones now, that are something like +12% to hit and 0-2 damage. I thought they were good?

How long would you expect to take a level, at my current level?

When should I get a weapon, or should I continue to be the Mad Slapper until I get some sort of legendary item?

Edit - on a related note, what other gear should I be on the lookout for/grinding for?I just spent a lot of money on the Snakeskin boots, because I thought it would help, but didn't see the big boost I hoped going from 1 to 6% dodge.
nyktos
VIP

Post by nyktos »

AndorOz wrote: Well, I guess I'm glad I asked now, as my next level I was going to buy HP so that I could get the regen skill. I guess I could just wait.
you will be glad you waited, it means a stronger character later!
AndorOz wrote:...the snakes at this point still hit annoyingly hard.
there are four light green snakes, they are weak... try the tiny dogs too, quite a few of them just east of crossglen.
AndorOz wrote:Where would I find the Irgotu's Necklace? I found the Jewel, and was (very) slowing grinding snakes for meat for it. If that's cheaper, I might be able to get better rings.
there is a cave just outside the first town, with a guard standing next to the ladder... take the quest & its at the bottom of the cave
AndorOz wrote:I have two brawling ones now, that are something like +12% to hit and 0-2 damage. I thought they were good?
your rings are great for now, focus on a weapon - you could use the extra damage
AndorOz wrote:How long would you expect to take a level, at my current level?
would you believe me if i told you that there is a monster that has only 15 HP & gives 79XP? :twisted: only three screens from home...
AndorOz wrote:When should I get a weapon, or should I continue to be the Mad Slapper until I get some sort of legendary item?
this is really specific to your build, but if you are barehanded and have the $$$... go snag the Hardened Iron Longsword / armory ~ first town
"Embrace the Shadow"

fiernaq
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by fiernaq »

I struggled through a very slow leveling up process as well my first go around and thanks to the wonderful help and suggestions of people here on this forum I've made it so that I can easily go from 0 to level 8 in under 20 minutes. Beyond that, it does slow down a bit more and now that I'm further along I get the feeling that I could speed the 8-30 bit up a bit more as well but even so you tend to reach peaks where the monsters you're killing just aren't giving enough XP to level up very fast but you can't quite yet take on more powerful monsters without fear of dying (and losing a good chunk of xp).

If you feel like reading the suggestions I received that helped me get as far as I have then check out This Forum Post.

For a shortened form of the above (rather lengthy) post:
Go unarmed. Slapping works as long as you keep putting points into AD and AC. Take a look at the equipment list and pick out the stuff you want. Don't worry about criticals or blocking early on and in fact pick up equipment such as the Fine Gloves of Attack with +AC and -BC. Your goal early on will be to kill before you get killed. I went into the snake caves on a brand new character and as long as I had at least 4AD the first map screen wasn't that difficult. You'll want at least 8AD before going into the second screen and considerably more AC too. To speed up the lvling process I would actually eat meat while in the caves so that I could keep killing more snakes.
Level: 58, HP: 102, AC: 295%, AD: 46-56, AP: 2/12, BC: 35%, DR: 4
Gold: 75235 | RoLS: 0 RoL: 0 SRoV: 0 VSH: 0
Skills: IF1, Ev1, Ev2, Ev3, CE1, CS1, CS2, Re1, WA1, HH1, Cl1, HH2, DaggerPro1, LightArmorPro1, ShieldPro1, WA2, Cl2
Equipment: Enhanced Combat Helmet, Serpent's Hauberk, Marrowtaint, Quickstrike Dagger, Remgard Shield, Villain's Ring, Villain's Ring, Leather Gloves Of Attack, Enhanced Combat Boots
Last Updated: 02-Dec-2013
nyktos
VIP

Post by nyktos »

just throwing this out there,
but one of things we couldn't get to were "intro / tutorial" quests...
to improve the introductory time spent with the game.

Oskar did get to cleaning up the opening Mikhail dialogue though...
+1 to Oskar!!! (again)

:lol:

so, if anyone has any ideas on quests to make things like this less frequent...
please share!!! (in the proper forum / thread)
"Embrace the Shadow"

AndorOz

Post by AndorOz »

Thanks for the tips...was not doing the green snakes, was doing the grey ones, and they hit a bit harder, it seems. I did see the guard and get the cave, but I get owned hardcore in there, so had not gone very far inside.

I'd love to know where this xp pinata guy is only 3 screens away from the start!
nyktos
VIP

Post by nyktos »

following my own tips, i can get through the first screen of the snake cave by lvl 8...
the second screen is harder - except - the first two snakes! (they are weak like the first room)

the next two, before the salamander - have a chance to be venomous.
when you start battle, you can tell... if he has 15 hp / he is venomous.

these are a little stronger than the weak snakes, but much weaker than the "tough" snakes...
they give WAY more xp than the others.

i have dodged through that room, avoiding tuff snakes & killing venomous ones MANY times
low threat & high payoff (did i mention they have nice drops too?)

(just dont get caught off-guard when you run from a tough snake)

and save a lot!
"Embrace the Shadow"

Sarumar
VIP
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

Post by Sarumar »

AndorOz wrote:Allos all. Figured I'd register to ask a question I don't see addressed here - speed of leveling. I notice many of you have very high level characters, some multiple generations of them. I'm finding the game to be extremely slow leveling, at least for a mobile game. It seems like I've been level 8 forever, and farming gold/exp is fairly slow going (doing the "easy" snakes in the cave south of the first town.

Am I missing something? I started over, based on some of the posts here, from my level 5 char and now am weapon free (and oddly "slapping" appears to be better than my weapon use) and picked a better skill up, so that's all good, but seeing the exp bar barely move after 10-15m of play at such a low level seems wrong, somewhow.

Your advice, please? Or am I simply too used to the faster-moving mobile games typically out there? This feels almost more like an SNES RPG.
Forget the levels of the high-level character witch you see here. Some of us have been playing AT over 1,5 years...

I know, AT is hard one in, but when you have prox 10 level character it become easier... and then you are able to enjoy the story....

Be warned, there are multible choices and consequences in this game.

happy hunting
Sarumar
..dansing left foot polka with Hirathil

Lvl 313|XP 559721474|Gold 7965188|AP 3/12|AC 516|AD 161-175|ECC 48|CM 6|BC 311|HP 591|DR 2|RoLS 3|RoL 2|ElyR 2|ChaR 45|GoLF 3|ShaF 9|SRoV 28|VSH 13|GoW 1|WMC 1
der_Hosenwyrm
android_version: 2.0

Post by der_Hosenwyrm »

AndorOz wrote: When should I get a weapon, or should I continue to be the Mad Slapper until I get some sort of legendary item?
At level 95, I'm still slapping :twisted:

Seems a bit odd that even with $650,000+ to spend, I still cannot buy a weapon that is more effective than my bare hands :?
Prometheus
Lvl:97, XP:16504704, Gold:725579,
RoLS:1, ElyR:0, RoL:0, ChaR:2, GoLF:1, ShaF:0,
HP:211, AC:255%, AD:49-55, AP:2/12, CC:-4%, CM:-, BC:165%, DR:0