v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Advice for a new player

Post your questions about game contents here. Want to know how to complete a quest, or where to go to find an item? Post here!
Zaden99
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Advice for a new player

Post by Zaden99 »

I'm brand new to this game. Could anyone provide a bit of guidance for which skills to focus on first? I don't think I want to work on skills that increase exp or reduce exp lost on death, but rather skills that enhance my char. The skills are a little confusing as I don't fully understand the different stats in the game yet, such as AP. Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Zaden99 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Balancing a skill system

Post by Antison »

Zaden99 wrote: More on topic though, I'm brand new to this game. Could anyone provide a bit of guidance for which skills to focus on first? I don't think I want to work on skills that increase exp or reduce exp lost on death, but rather skills that enhance my char. The skills are a little confusing as I don't fully understand the different stats in the game yet, such as AP. Any help would be appreciated.
You sound like you have a strategy in mind but are afraid to execute for fear of the unknown. "Combat Speed" is by far the best skill IMO. I didn't have skills available to me from the beginning and its been a while since I was that weak (1 year), but I think Regeneration and increased fortitude will help you a lot.
I think it also helps to decide if you want an offensively or defensively minded hero, or a balanced one.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

i agree with tek - combat speed x2 (a.s.a.p.)
and personally: i like bark skin, regen & corpse eater... built up evenly.

Increased Fortitude can save you levels spent on HP,
allowing you to focus those levels on AC, AD & BC.
[you also need this skill for Regeneration]

i also advise against taking skills that raise AC, AD & BC...
EXCEPT if you are doing it to get Cleave

Criticals are VERY powerful in this game!
but my weapon of choice has none - so i never took them (crit skills)

the resistances at the bottom of the list are nice,
but i recommend waiting until your much stronger to build them.

evasion is a big question mark - something i wanna max out @ low level for insight

just some thoughts
:twisted:
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Zaden99

Post by Zaden99 »

Thanks for the guidance guys. It really is an awesome game. At level 8 atm and loving it. Worked on HP for the first six levels and the last two level bonuses into AD. Seem like a good idea to keep beefing up AD? Or more into HP? Or start working on AC & BC? Thx again!
nyktos
VIP

Post by nyktos »

this is just me, but i build in batches...

first get my AD to 5
then AC up to 100%

AD 10
AC 125%

AD 15
AC 150%

and so on...
good to have 50-60 HP so you can make use of the best potion (bonemeal heals 40)
as for BC mine is only that high so i could take Barkskin (u need 15% BC per skill lv)
"Embrace the Shadow"

Chest_Rockfield
Location: Impeached former President of the Too cool for a RoLS Club. ;)

Post by Chest_Rockfield »

I STRONGLY recommend Fortitude ASAP, and avoid leveling up HP unless required to get Fortitude. Fortitude has prerequisites though, so getting your Combat Speed in there early is a good plan. I also recommend not choosing better criticals over more criticals, but since you won't have access to a really good crit weapon for a bit, it's okay that you don't take these early. Regeneration is also really helpful for many reasons, those reasons being slightly different between early and late game, but all of those reasons make it a solid choice, and probably worth getting early (but not before Fortitude :D ).

So:
1. Fortitude any time you are able to level it up to at least Fortitude 2, maybe 3 if you want to be super buff in the HP department like me. (I have 4, but I did not have the luxury of taking it early like you do).
2. Regeneration or Combat Speed, depending on your weapon choice and build type.
3. More Criticals if you decide you want to murder everything in one shot. (It's nice.)
Lvl: 162, XP: 77,249,000, Gold: 2,508,000 RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 18, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 2
HP: 517, AC: 333%, AD: 60-61, AP: 3, CC: 90%, CM: 3, BC: 218%, DR: 0, BMP: 4k+
Zaden99

Re: Advice for a new player

Post by Zaden99 »

nyktos wrote:this is just me, but i build in batches...

first get my AD to 5
then AC up to 100%

AD 10
AC 125%

AD 15
AC 150%

and so on...
good to have 50-60 HP so you can make use of the best potion (bonemeal heals 40)
as for BC mine is only that high so i could take Barkskin (u need 15% BC per skill lv)
This is good stuff! Is this the AD and AC in the Combat statistics (current) section or the one below it? I'm assuming the bottom one?
Chest_Rockfield wrote:I STRONGLY recommend Fortitude ASAP, and avoid leveling up HP unless required to get Fortitude. Fortitude has prerequisites though, so getting your Combat Speed in there early is a good plan. I also recommend not choosing better criticals over more criticals, but since you won't have access to a really good crit weapon for a bit, it's okay that you don't take these early. Regeneration is also really helpful for many reasons, those reasons being slightly different between early and late game, but all of those reasons make it a solid choice, and probably worth getting early (but not before Fortitude :D ).

So:
1. Fortitude any time you are able to level it up to at least Fortitude 2, maybe 3 if you want to be super buff in the HP department like me. (I have 4, but I did not have the luxury of taking it early like you do).
2. Regeneration or Combat Speed, depending on your weapon choice and build type.
3. More Criticals if you decide you want to murder everything in one shot. (It's nice.)
Thx for this advice too! I did Fortitude first and then Regen. I think I will do regen again at 12, but I suppose I could do Fort again. Regen just seemed better for getting in longer grinds w/o having to head back to town. More crits sounds fun too. Doesn't the boss in the snake cave have a crit weapon? Venomous Dagger I think. Thats the area I'm in atm.
nyktos
VIP

Post by nyktos »

yup, the numbers i used were base stats - no gear...

god, i need another ATA meeting...
(even this thread is geeking me out)

oh yeah, you are correct about the ven. dagger
"Embrace the Shadow"

Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Post by Pyrizzle »

Increased Fort is the best for a new player (IMO) go with that and you can consentrate on getting more AD, AC, & BC out of your levels
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by lady black »

I agree with the above recommendations, with the addition that combat speed x 2 should be taken early also. That will raise your AP (action points) to 12. Each swing of your weapon costs you AP, usually 3 or 4, so 2 extra AP gives you an extra swing per turn in combat. This can literally save your (character's) life.
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF