v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

minimum level requirement on quests

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Kardinaal
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

minimum level requirement on quests

Post by Kardinaal »

There's a few reasons that would make a change like this interesting:

Quests can point to appropriate leveling grounds would give guidance to new player, and also help the developers to determine where a certain character should be in the game. This allows the developers to assign lvl ranges on area's, which helps in balancing the game. If you need to be lvl 20 to start quest x, the area where you solve that quest should have monsters (and drops/rewards) that are appropriate for this lvl. When you want a person to move to the next area (cause he's outleveled the current area), there should be a quest that tells him to go to the next area.

Example: the starting town should have starter quests, that steer a lvl character to some simple monsters, then to the rat cave, then the snake cave, and at the end there should be a quest that sends people to the next town. Now mind you, these quests are allready in game, but since there's no level requirement to them, it's possible someone starts with the quest that leads them to fallhaven, wandering into areas with higher level monsters, getting killed,...

A minimum level on quests also means it should be possible to stick more than one quest to the same NPC, which makes wandering around less tedious, cause you would find a quest here and there. This in turn allows for higher level quests in lower level areas (like a part of a dungeon which needs a key or something to unlock, and contains higher lvl monsters), or quests where someone in the starter town asks to deliver something at BWM (which you have no chance of reaching at lvl 5 when you should be in the starter town), which gives way more possible quests than with the current system without disrupting the game flow.

Third advantage would be storytelling. Since you get more control over your quests (which are the main storytelling elements), you've got more control over your story in general, due to improved steering and pace of the game.
Lvl: 30
XP: 487414
G: 26332

HP: 93, AC: 187%, AD: 8-40, AP: 9, CC: 4%, CM: 3, BC: 114%, DR: 4

Ordinary Leather Cap, Stone Cuirass, NotP, 2x RotP, Skullcrusher, Wooden Defender, TMG, Defender's boots

RoLS: 0, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: minimum level requirement on quests

Post by Antison »

I am not in favor of this at all. To much "hand holding". To me, playing the game with idea of "if I am getting killed fight after fight or am barely surviving and have to flee and avoid monsters to find a bed", I probably shouldn't be there. This has always worked for me in every RPG I ever played.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
Kardinaal

Post by Kardinaal »

I'm not saying there should be a limit on any quest, but it has it's uses. If it was me, I'd use the "handholding" part for the first levels of the game (lets say all the quests in the starter village), to ease people in the game and get them hooked. From fallhaven on, I'd still use quests as a sort of a guideline, but gradually steer away from "handholding". Honestly, if I would have played this game as my first RPG, I probably wouldn't have ever gotten to fallhaven because I would have given up. I've spent about two hours looking for a poison gland because no where in the quest there was given a location, and while searching for it, I've wandered into difficult areas more than once, got killed alot (and at that lvl the penalties are quite steep), so I was hardly gaining any XP. Once i knew about the snake cave, leveling enough to get to fallhaven took me about 15 minutes. If the quest would just have told me to look ih the cave to the south I'd have had a much more enjoyable first few levels.

Also, using a mininum level on skills to make it possible to "stack" multiple quests on an single NPC is worth the change in it's own right imho...

Ordinary Leather Cap, Stone Cuirass, NotP, 2x RotP, Skullcrusher, Wooden Defender, TMG, Defender's boots

Antison

Post by Antison »

I am just not in favor of making the game easier. RPG's are supposed to be challenging! Problem solving, strategy ..etc.
Kardinaal

Post by Kardinaal »

Just the beginning a little, to get people addicted :twisted: . If you look at similar games on PC, you see there's usually some effort done to ease new players into the game. The part of the game that does this can't be too short (the "learning curve" is too steep for newbs) or too long (more experienced RPG players get turned off). I actually don't mind the fact that the beginning of the game eases you in, it gives me the chance to quickly play a few levels and check out the game mechanics to see if it the game suits me.

For some reason, when checking out android games, I've noticed the lack of such things in most rpgs. I think this is mostly due to the fact that no one has to actually play the game for it to appear in the listings, only download it. Developers don't exactly care if the game is played afterwards (not saying this is true for all developers out there, but it's a "trend" I see...).

edferd
android_version: 4.0

Post by edferd »

i like this game because its challanging, if i wanted my hand to be held i would go play zenonia or other rpgs like it, the reason i like this game is because it doesnt tell you that you need to go here and do this till your lvl 50 then move on to this town and do this, its more of a you find your way cause your a 12 year old boy who has never left your small town. its more realistic.

example a: if someone today was to tell you they need a poison gland would you know where to get one? Probably not because 1 you have more then likely never killed a snake and dont know where the poisonous ones live.

example b: unlike most very strict parents i bet when you turned 12 or 13 your parents didnt tell you where you had to hang out and with whom, so that allowed you to go almost anywhere at anytime you wanted.
Lvl: 32, XP: 574831 Gold: 36965, RoLS: 1, ElyR: 0, RoL: 0, ChaR: 0, GoLF: 0, ShaF: 0
HP: 92, AC: 154%, AD: 14-25, AP: 4, CC: 17%, CM: 2, BC: 85%, DR: 2
Mave102
android_version: 2.2
Location: Sifting through the piles of small rocks in my bag to see if I got a RoLS

Post by Mave102 »

I feel that putting level requirements on quests will discourage many of A.T.'s current and future players. Level requirements are the exact reason why I stopped playing RPGs such as LoTR online and Zenonia.
One of the main reasons I play A.T. is because it will let you get way in over your head without you realizing it. I may be the only one, but I traveled to BWM at level 15 and had a difficult time making it up the mountain. I think that's better than the BW Agent saying "Don't talk to me (come back at XX level)" and then begging for help once you reach the requirement.

What I'm trying to say is that some players would rather figure out that they're not ready to progress much farther unless they improve their build instead of being constantly told that they need X Y and Z to continue.
Mike- Level 31 XP: 546997 AP: 4/12
HP: 72 AC: 193% AD: 13-22 CHC: 14% CM: 2x BC: 52% DR: 3
Gold: 65314 RoLS: 0
nyktos
VIP
android_version: 7.1 - Nougat

Post by nyktos »

Mave102 wrote:I feel that putting level requirements on quests will discourage many of A.T.'s current and future players. Level requirements are the exact reason why I stopped playing RPGs such as LoTR online and Zenonia.
One of the main reasons I play A.T. is because it will let you get way in over your head without you realizing it. I may be the only one, but I traveled to BWM at level 15 and had a difficult time making it up the mountain. I think that's better than the BW Agent saying "Don't talk to me (come back at XX level)" and then begging for help once you reach the requirement.

What I'm trying to say is that some players would rather figure out that they're not ready to progress much farther unless they improve their build instead of being constantly told that they need X Y and Z to continue.
incredibly well put!

+1!!!

i usually go until i die, then grind like crazy until i can take out what killed me!
and i always keep what is dropped, just in case!
i find this works IRL too! :D
"Embrace the Shadow"

[Lv: 60] [HP: 175] [AC: 361] [AD: 25-39] [BC: 75]
[Dual Wielding Swords] [Unarmored Fighting]
Antison

Post by Antison »

Mave102 wrote:I feel that putting level requirements on quests will discourage many of A.T.'s current and future players. Level requirements are the exact reason why I stopped playing RPGs such as LoTR online and Zenonia.

Agreed! +1
Piggy the Slayer

Post by Piggy the Slayer »

Totally agree. Venturing into trouble unprepared and too early was part of the fun of AT. Lets have no handholding please. I mean whats the worse that can happen? An area is too challenging you go elsewhere and build up the skills and attributes to make you strong enough to go back and survive the next time.
Level:145 AC: 428% BC:170% DR:4 AD:78-90 AP:12 HP:750 BSS.