Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player and/or flee.

Discussions of the development process of the game.
Voom
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player, Monsters flee at low HP.

Post by Voom »

Duke wrote:I like the idea of new skills, but worry about having too many skills, so was thinking about adding it to existing skills...but I'd like to hear pros and cons from others.
I would love an extensive skill list and arrow skill(s) sound good, but need to be well developed.
twirlimp wrote: Yeah we should really ask the others. and also I think it's about time we got a few sorting buttons for skills/inventory items to make life easier.
For this, check out my thread called "Crazy Skills".
Voom
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player, Monsters flee at low HP.

Post by rijackson741 »

twirlimp wrote:How would you guys like it if I made flee chance decrease?

Monsters have a "rage" meter that measures how many tiles they'll follow after you flee, so I was thinking that perhaps when monsters have more range -- they are more angry -- and it will be harder to escape.

This would make "hit and run" slightly less overpowered with distance, and combined with the fact that bows have negative accuracy (which means more wasted turns) and negative block chance (which means if monsters reach you you're dead).

So, your attacks are less accurate, your defense is weaker, and you're less likely to flee.
But you have a big attack range! Yay!
I haven't weighed in on this yet because I haven't had time to try it out. I'll give you a heads up on what I will look at though (probably over the weekend), and that's how well the new features "play" with the existing features and dynamics of the game. So in the case of messing with flee chance, how will that play with the existing Evasion skill? Currently there is a base 20% chance to flee, and each level of Evasion cuts that by 5%. That makes it a useful skill, even with only 2 or 3 levels (and of course with 4 levels, you always get to flee). If you decrease the flee chance then you nerf the Evasion skill. That doesn't rule out doing it, but if you are going to nerf an existing feature of the game, especially a skill that players have put points into, the benefits have to outweigh the losses.

My biggest concern with ranged weapons is that, unless I misunderstand something, static monsters are defenseless. They can't move, so they can't chase you, so you can just stand somewhere safe and kill them from a distance. Maybe I'm wrong about how that works though, so I wasn't going to say anything until I had a chance to try it out.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
twirlimp
VIP
android_version: 4.3

Post by twirlimp »

rijackson741 wrote:
I haven't weighed in on this yet because I haven't had time to try it out. I'll give you a heads up on what I will look at though (probably over the weekend), and that's how well the new features "play" with the existing features and dynamics of the game. So in the case of messing with flee chance, how will that play with the existing Evasion skill? Currently there is a base 20% chance to flee, and each level of Evasion cuts that by 5%. That makes it a useful skill, even with only 2 or 3 levels (and of course with 4 levels, you always get to flee). If you decrease the flee chance then you nerf the Evasion skill. That doesn't rule out doing it, but if you are going to nerf an existing feature of the game, especially a skill that players have put points into, the benefits have to outweigh the losses.
I'm not sure but you might be misunderstanding me.

I think the 20% is the chance to not flee, which is why when evasion decreases it it makes fleeing easier.

When I say "decrease flee chance" I mean "make fleeing harder" and not easier, so I think the evasion skill will be much more useful.
My biggest concern with ranged weapons is that, unless I misunderstand something, static monsters are defenseless. They can't move, so they can't chase you, so you can just stand somewhere safe and kill them from a distance. Maybe I'm wrong about how that works though, so I wasn't going to say anything until I had a chance to try it out.
Well currently, in the version I'm working on, I made monsters non-static by default And they will move towards you. If the path is blocked then they flee away to get out of your range.
If you want them to be static you have to specify values other than the default.

And considering that the monster behavior seems more accepted by zukero, I think there will be no problem with static monsters, as ranged weaponry will definitely not be added before monster AI.

I also added three new monster properties and set them to what I think are good default values, and of course can be changed for each monster. If these changes becomes mainstream then you can even use them in ATCS.

Here are the following properties individually and at the end I'll discuss the possible combos.

Line of sight
If you want the to monsters be static like before then you have to decrease their line of sight to 1 tile. Then they won't follow either inside our outside combat. It's currently at 200 so no chance of not seeing you.

hp flee threshold
If you want monsters to not flee (either inside our outside combat), you decrease their "hp flee threshold" to 0.
Currently the default is 0.2 (20% hp). Like the other two properties this can be changed to each monster in their data files.

rage-distance multiplier
During combat, monsters will not stop following you if you're within their line of sight.
But outside combat I limited them to a number of steps.
The current default for "rage distance multiplier" is 1.0 which means after combat ends (and you flee) they'll follow you for a number of steps equal to the distance when you first attacked them.
So if you attack them once and flee, and stand still, they'll walk until they're exactly in your old position and start attacking.
Making the rage-distance multiplier equal to 10.0 means that if you attack with the +5 range weapon then they'll follow you for 60 steps! That's one hell of a cat and mouse.

To make monsters static summary. Making the rage-distance multiplier 0 (from 1.0) means they don't follow outside combat. If line of sight is 1 (from 200) then they don't follow at all. Make hp flee threshold 0 (from 0.2) then they won't flee.

Possible combos
Dogs can have rage-distance multiplier of 3.0 because they can track you better. So even if you hit them with melee then they'll follow for 3 steps after combat.

Peaceful creatures like rabbits and deer can have a flee hp threshold of 0.99 so they flee easily. "Things" like zombies and demons can have threshold of 0 so they're like kamikaze.

As for line of sight, well if you want to make a living tree monster that doesn't respond to attacks (can be just cut down for wooden logs and berries) you should set line of sight to 0 and you will have what is basically an inanimate, unmoving object with an HP bar.
You'd also want to set the hp threshold to 0 too or else the tree will get up and run for its life!

Of course we can already create inanimate monsters in-game by making their max AP 0. Both work.
Think of the quests that can now require you to chop 10 trees and return to the lumberjack!
The cupboards that can be "stolen" by smashing them open!
Boulders in the road, blocking your path, that have immunity to most attacks.
Little stones scattered in a forest and one of them hides a secret path.
Harvesting berry bushes and tomatoes. Destroying someone's furniture?

Monsters are going to be so damned far from static, it won't be even funny.

P.S. Currently if you attack monsters from outside their line of sight they don't flee until their Hp is low.
This is why I set it to 200, so they they always come towards you. I'll be fixing it today I think. They should flee if they can't see their attacker.

I'll probably add a "fear multiplier" that determines how far they flee from unseen attacks before they calm down again.
Last edited by twirlimp on Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:49 am, edited 6 times in total.
ideas plox
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:
Duke wrote:I like the idea of new skills, but worry about having too many skills, so was thinking about adding it to existing skills...but I'd like to hear pros and cons from others.
I would love an extensive skill list and arrow skill(s) sound good, but need to be well developed.
twirlimp wrote: Yeah we should really ask the others. and also I think it's about time we got a few sorting buttons for skills/inventory items to make life easier.
For this, check out my thread called "Crazy Skills".
I did!

It's a fine piece of work and the categorization is perfect.
ideas plox
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

twirlimp wrote: I did!

It's a fine piece of work and the categorization is perfect.
Thanks bud. :)

I sense a little doubt about this whole ranged weapon idea, but I honestly think that it exists for development's sake and less about its quality (which is impeccable in its momentum towards high quality) or how well it fits into AT dynamics and combat (casual storyline combat, not hardcore grinding). Personally, I hope this idea makes the cut and is implemented not because it is just 'more' content, but because it deserves to be. Not only is it interesting, it will serve to add depth in terms of quests, story, and combat strategy.
Voom
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote: Thanks bud. :)

I sense a little doubt about this whole ranged weapon idea, but I honestly think that it exists for development's sake and less about its quality (which is impeccable in its momentum towards high quality) or how well it fits into AT dynamics and combat (casual storyline combat, not hardcore grinding). Personally, I hope this idea makes the cut and is implemented not because it is just 'more' content, but because it deserves to be. Not only is it interesting, it will serve to add depth in terms of quests, story, and combat strategy.
Thanks XD

I'm working on making it more suitable for casual storyline, and I noticed this problem yesterday when I was testing safe-aim --in which I can't move -- and monsters kept damned fleeing away.Cancel aim, then move, then cancel aim, then move...

It felt too much like a clickfest so I made safe-aim pause all turns until you make a selection.
You select by long-pressing, and can cancel by normal pressing.
And also if there are no targets in range then you get a message without opening the selection screen.

But yeah today I mostly tested and tweaked the monster behavior, which is getting less doubts than ranged weaponry.
Monsters now flee if you're attacking from outside their line of sight, but unlike low-hp fleeing it's only for a limited steps.

I added a "fear multiplier" that tells them how far to flee, but it can also be forced for other purposes.
If you recall, some NPC conversation are ended with combat, such as highwaymen for example, and now we can make conversation end with fleeing.
For example if you choose a dialogue to take the baby's candy, then the conversation ends and the kid flees away from you (for a limit number of steps/turns).

Is it me or are all my quest ideas on the shadow-y side?
ideas plox
Voom
VIP

Re: Github Fork: Ranged Weapons, Monsters follow player and/or flee.

Post by Voom »

Lol, a little shadow-y indeed.

Listen, the mechanics need to work. That's a given. However, if it's not perfection, that's ok. The current mechanics and use of current weapon is not perfect either, but was implemented. Currently, equipment needs an overhaul because a lot of items don't make sense to be used given the alternatives. Things like that. Even minor issues, like the one I mentioned about ranged weapons, is not the main focus. Debugging can be done after release too, not only before. My point is that ranged weapons need to become compatible. That's the prerequisite so that it can get a fair shot in getting spliced with master version.. details should be priority number 2.

Anyway, yes, I think less clicking is greatly needed for any aspect of combat. I was also thinking that fear attribute might be a bother in the very sense you mentioned it. That was a good solution though.
Voom
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:Lol, a little shadow-y indeed.

Listen, the mechanics need to work. That's a given. However, if it's not perfection, that's ok. The current mechanics and use of current weapon is not perfect either, but was implemented. Currently, equipment needs an overhaul because a lot of items don't make sense to be used given the alternatives. Things like that. Even minor issues, like the one I mentioned about ranged weapons, is not the main focus. Debugging can be done after release too, not only before. My point is that ranged weapons need to become compatible. That's the prerequisite so that it can get a fair shot in getting spliced with master version.. details should be priority number 2.
Yeah regarding compatibility. Well to be honest a very good way of compatibility is to nerf the hell out of the bows, and then slowly make them balanced.

But that's the lazy way. A good way of compatibility/balancing would be to compare the bow with other weapon of the same tier.

For example if you can buy a sword or a crossbow at the same price of 100gp.
The sword has damage of 6 and the crossbow has damage of 3.
But you can use the crossbow for 3 turns before the monster can reach you (assuming monster only moves 1 tile per turn).
So the crossbow would be overpowered.
That's why, instead of decreasing the bow damage, I added accuracy debuffs of -10/20/30% or so depending on the bow range.
And I also added a hefty decrease to block chance of -35% so you'll be forced to keep out of range.
Voom wrote:Anyway, yes, I think less clicking is greatly needed for any aspect of combat. I was also thinking that fear attribute might be a bother in the very sense you mentioned it. That was a good solution though.
Yeah I made sure there is no extra clicking.
If someone enables auto-aim than it's literally the same as melee combat -- you just walk towards them while touching their pic.

Even with normal-aim, the only possible annoyance would be when monsters keep fleeing out of range after 2 turns from when you attack them.
But at that point, they're already at 20% hp or less, and they won't attack back even if you melee them.
If you have auto-aim enabled then it won't even be a problem to follow them, it'll be enjoyable. It'll be fun to play cat and mouse.

But of course if fleeing is added to the game then it will not be default for all monsters, only for the ones we choose (through the usual ATCS and JSON files).

That's also why I made the Minor Stun condition! So they stop moving...
It also works outside combat and makes their walk speed animation reeaally sloooww.

In other news, I added some basic category filters for the inventory.
Let me know if there are other filters you'd like added.
I'm going to try working on the Skills menu now.
Edit: atm I'm separating Equipment to Armor & Weapons.
Screenshot_2016-01-08-20-50-31.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ideas plox
Voom
VIP

Post by Voom »

Dude, that's great! I see that everything conceptually balances out. I want to know the opinion of others about it.

Concerning the inventory and skill layouts, I think it should be in another thread, a quick one. I have an idea of organizing skills as if you were adding spoilers in the forum, but for each heading (offense, defense, etc.).
Voom
twirlimp
VIP

Post by twirlimp »

Voom wrote:You're right, it is just a minor issue if you haven't attacked, in which case 100% chance of flee will suffice. But there is the point that once you have already attacked the flee chance can vary based on distance. I believe that is also minor, but slightly more of an issue then the former. Thx.
I just thought of a solution for the "distance" thing.
Maybe when you attack with a ranged weapon, you get the status condition called "exposed" that lowers evasion and maybe increases move cost.

......And it's stackable.

And yeah of course the blockchance debuff from the bow will removed and instead added to the same "exposed" stats condition.
ideas plox