Names and Personalities for everyone in the villages

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
tactical371
android_version: 2.0

Names and Personalities for everyone in the villages

Post by tactical371 »

I believe that in a recent quest, one of the core quest characters is named "busy farmer." Can we give names and real personalities to more of the people in the villages? That way, they will feel less like filler, and the game world will feel more alive. Even if most of these characters have no relevance to any game story, giving them names would add to the immersion.
Antison
android_version: 14 - Android 14

Re: Names and Personalities for everyone in the villages

Post by Antison »

Most NPCs involved in a quest have a name. I left this character nameless on purpose as I didn't want to give him a name. It would give away too much information as the intuitive player would notice that not only is he knew but he has a name.

I have no clue what you mean by personality.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
tactical371

Post by tactical371 »

I am thinking about games like, for example, Majora's Mask (or Skyrim, although that game has a lot of nameless guards), in which minor characters usually still have names. They may or may not have a little bit of personality, and their relatively small, unimportant problems still can shine through in the dialogue.

For Andor's Trail, here is a "commoner" in Remgard. Who is she? What does she value? What does she like? She does not have to have anything to do with any story, and her backstory and characterization can be very basic, But if she had a name and maybe an extra dialogue option or two, it would increase immersion. The same sort of reasoning can be applied to many characters across the land. For some, their dialogue does not even need to change, but it is still useful for them to have a name and appear as something other than a generic NPC who is only there to take up space. At least this example commoner provides useful information, which is probably sufficient when combined with a name, and it is more than what some generic NPCs provide through their existence.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tactical371

Post by tactical371 »

Here is an even better example.
capture_0000007.png
capture_0000008.png
I do not know why there is apparently a viewcount at the bottom of this post...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Antison

Post by Antison »

Not every NPC is going to have a name. Especially one's not involved in a quest. It's just just not going to happen.
It's just way too much work for a handful of people to create "personality" for every NPC we've created or will create.
"A home without a beagle is just a house"
sdevaney
Site Admin

Post by sdevaney »

We would welcome a list of NPC names and personalities to pull from for future content if that's something you're interested in contributing.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

Indeed. All contributions are welcome. We are a small dev team and have higher priorities (Brighthaven, Nor City, Feygard, and others). But we are certainly open to contributions from others.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
tactical371

Post by tactical371 »

I'll look into renaming some people after I get ATCS properly installed and I learn how it works (viewtopic.php?t=4806&start=340).
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

Before you rename an NPC best look where he is used.
NPCs are sometimes reused.
E.g. a "Commoner" would be OK in 5 different places. But it would look strange, if in every 5 places, this NPC has the same name.
Nut
tactical371

Post by tactical371 »

Nut wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:28 am Before you rename an NPC best look where he is used.
NPCs are sometimes reused.
E.g. a "Commoner" would be OK in 5 different places. But it would look strange, if in every 5 places, this NPC has the same name.
Haha! I should have guessed that that would be the case.