v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Idea for the most useless but dangerous item in AT

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
Lam al Adie
android_version: 11 - Android 11

Idea for the most useless but dangerous item in AT

Post by Lam al Adie »

Hi all,

I just saw another spammer flood these forums with just another $$business-proposal and got the idea for a new quest and/or monster+item

Introducing: the agressive marketender is a bit like the highwayman. It will offer you SPAM for only 100 gold apiece. You may decline, making the price fall by 1 gold to a minimum of 10 gold. No way to stop it from praising its offer but buy or quit the dialogue.
When you buy, it'll vanish until next time. When you quit it'll start attacking so you can finish it off. Loot: anything, but no SPAM

Item SPAM
Eat SPAM: gives +1HP +some nasty condition
Sell SPAM: no trader will buy SPAM. You can find a fool to talk to. You can convince him to buy you SPAM for 50 gold apiece.
After selling your SPAM a gang of feygard soldiers will show up and beat you half dead (like down to only 10HP left). You drop all your possessions (gold, equipped armor, all items,…). They abduct you and drop you in a bad place like guymart castle or aluir mountain or the maze to blackwater.
If you manage to survive, you can gain back you possessions...

Seems like a good punishment for SPAM.

Don't know if that should be a one time only quest or something you can replay several times.
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
Lvl:68 XP: 5728519 AP: 12/3 HP: 204 AC: 228 AD: 43-55 BC: 164 DR: 7
Skills: WA: 1 Do: 4 CS: 2 IF: 4 Ev: 2 Reg: 1 WP:1S: 1 AP:S: 1 FS:WS: 2 S:WS: 1
ROLS: 1 GoLF: 1
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: Idea for the most useless but dangerous item in AT

Post by rijackson741 »

:lol:

But it would break the fourth wall, so no :D
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Lam al Adie

Post by Lam al Adie »

Had to look up, what »breaking the fourth wall« means…

I don't see where my idea would do much more than already has been done in other places.
Burhczyd has 'stolen' from me, feygard soldiers took my bonemeal. So taking items from me has already been implemented.
I slipped in alurir mountain, fell in the water and was swept ashore in another map. That's kind of an abduction.
That only leaves the »beating you half dead« thing to be justified.
Perhaps it should be done by friends of the fool instead of law enforcement troops. And if they just knock you out and you wake up in your last bed (no kill, so it's not fatal to permadeath players), the you can walk back to the fool and his friends, say your excuses and get back your belongings.

To me that would be harsh, but nothing more than »make your decisions and deal with the consequences«. There's not necessarily a wall to be broken.
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

The story might work, but there are technical problems.

I wouldn't like the item just called "Spam", it's too modern. "Spiced ham" would fit much better into our medieval world. The connection to Spam might not be too obvious, especially in translated versions, but that'd be ok.

More difficult are the following things, because we can't do it with the current engine:
- we can't strip _every_ item. When an item is taken, it has to be done explicitly. So we can take single items, but not every item.
- we can't drop items anywhere in the map. Items could only be placed fix at game start, but not in the active game.
- also we can't give items to an NPC, so that he might give them back later. This can be done explicitly for single items, but not for _all_ the items taken earlier.
- we can't lower HP to a fix value
- we can't teleport from anywhere in the map. You have to step on specially marked fields to be teleported.

So although the idea of beaten half dead and being robbed of everything is nice, I just can't see how it could be realized.
Nut
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Spam did not exist in a medieval world, only in the current one. It makes the player step out of the world of AT and into their world. That's why it breaks the fourth wall.
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
Lam al Adie

Post by Lam al Adie »

No need to discard a funny idea because of a B.A.D. name.
»meat fudge« might be even funnier, although I don't know, if the verb 'to fudge' is old enough.
Nut's technical reasons would be more of an issue although I hope we might be able to bend the story so it fits into the given possibilities:

Perhaps it would possible to establish an alternative version of dying, where you don't lose a life (no immediate harm to players with limited lives) but you still wake up in the last place you slept in, you still lose lots of EXP and perhaps you only recover 10HP.
And then one might try to figure out, if it's possible to check the inventory for a selection of items which perhaps could subsequently be taken away (ROLS, Marrowraint, JoF, Meat,...)
Perhaps it's possible to make you drop an item without further interaction. If so, I think there's the possibility for a quest, where you encounter the fool at his kitchen table (forcing you to exatly one place to talk to him).
Then, after you got beaten up and woke up again, you can walk back to the fools house, but you can only get in after you thoroughly apologized and some more.

If the way to program death2.0 is too hard, then perhaps selling meat fudge to the fool must be a fatal decision for permadeth-players.
In that case, you can still get rid of the fudge by eating it. The nasty condition might then be 1 rounds of AC/AD -100 for each gold you paid for the SPAM.
And if by any chance just owning meat fudge could afflict something like a negative merchant skill you might more tempted to somehow get rid of that stuff.

Sorry for fantasizing, but I kind of like my idea too much to just have it put away. On the other hand I don't see the chance that I learn how to program well enough to implement something like that on my own 😞
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Well, "spam" could be turned into flyers posted around town in various places. An older form of spam that actually existed. But the rest of your idea would have to be changed to fit what we can actually do without changes to the game engine.
Lam al Adie

Post by Lam al Adie »

When I was talking about spam, I was thinking more along the line of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_%28food%29

I tried to invent a comestible item with no nutritional value but some nasty side effects that no person clear in mind would ever buy or admit to possess. I don't really care for names. so for the moment let's name it junk.

instead of flyers we could have a cursed market hall (graveyard-like) where sales apprentices keep spawning until you manage to encounter the corrupted agreesive marketender.
After finishing the quest you can kill the marketender and thus cleanse the market hall where you then can buy some nice fancy stuff.

I've got plenty ideas around this story. Seems like I'll have to look up how to contribute...
Lam 'al Adie (pd)
rijackson741

Post by rijackson741 »

Actually, I need ideas for a project I'm working on. We just need to refine it so that it can be implemented. I think we would have to call it spamm too. Spam is a registered trademark, and the last thing we need is Hormel foods coming after us. Or we could make the same market person offer eggs, sausage, bacon, tomato (if you are not aware of it, look up the Monty Python sketch).
Lam al Adie

Post by Lam al Adie »

OK.
What can I do, where would you like to discuss my ideas?
Lam 'al Adie (pd)