v0.8.10 (BWM fill) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.10) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Thoughts from a newbie

A place for general discussion about the content and gameplay of Andor's Trail.
Pyrizzle
VIP
android_version: 6.0 - Marshmallow

Re: Thoughts from a newbie

Post by Pyrizzle »

http://andors.techby2guys.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=809

Here is a link to a topic on places to go gain XP including some spots for newer players.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Player Name:Pyro
Lvl:24XP:244KAP:2/10HP:80AC: 189%AD:13-21CHS:-6CM: 0BC: 20%DR:2
IF:2Reg:2FSDW:1

May Elythara bless you and light your path!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
icowden
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by icowden »

>>Um... this is a beginner thread. Highly unlikely that the OP has access to bonemeal or the jewel of fallhaven yet<<

Good guess !

I am having difficulty getting the bonemeal bones due to the high level of attacks sustained from the Rabid Foxes (all the undead are a walk in the park by comparison) which cannot be avoided.

I can get to the end of the crypt to obtain Luthor's key without too much effort (usually on 20hp), but then get slaughtered by Luthor's ghost.

My next foray will be into the bug dungeon to see how far I can get in there. ALthough the snake dungeon is also a possibility.

I guess my main impression as a Noob is that the game was quite quest driven up until I hit about Level 4. From that point on, all I have been able to do is grind. From a strategic viewpoint the choice to upgrade my block stats appears to have been a mistake (I tend to play a strong defensive game when I RPG!).

At the moment the best gear I have available to me is superior leather armour, superior wooden shield, a fine leather cap, reinforced boots and a steel sword. I also have Mikhail's ring and a ring of surehit.

The crypt bestiary looks like this:-
Creature Status HP AP AC AD Crit Crit Multi Block Dam R
Luthor Very Hard 86 5 120% 2 to 5 15% 2 50% 3
Young Gargoyle Easy 35 10 110% 2 to 5 10% 2 70% 1
Apparition Very Easy 17 3 1 to 5 70% 2
Shade Very Easy 16 5 20% 1 to 4 20% 3
Lrg Catacomb Rat Very Easy 21 3 60% 1 to 2 10% 2 40%
Ghostly Visage Very Easy 16 5 20% 1 to 4 20% 2
Spectre Easy 15 3 50% 1 to 5 60% 2
Catacomb Rat Very Easy 15 3 60% 1 40%
This suggests that the Easiness measure is focused on number of hitpoints and possibly the attack chance. The Large Rat may have low damage but it gets 3 attacks and has a higher attack chance than any of the undead (apart from the Gargoyle and luthor himself).

To me, that seems a bit illogical :-)

Iain
Cervando

Post by Cervando »

As others have said, my advice would be to focus on attack chance and attack damage, as it's more important to kill the mobs first, that to be tough. I would suggest farming the snakes in the cave and when ready, go past them to the boss of the last cave as he drops the superb Venomous dagger, which is one of the best weapons available, despite dropping from one of the easiest bosses. It allows between 2 and 3 attacks, depending if you have a the Jewel of Fallhaven, The number of attacks is also very important, which is why some players prefer the Quickstike dagger or bare fists, which allow 4-5 attacks per round.
Level 40, AP 3, AC 195%, AD 21-22, CC 25%, CM 3, BC 60%, HP 60, 945 rocks, RoLS 1, RoL 0, ElyR 0

OR

Level 40, AP 2, AC 170%, AD 27, CC 0%, CM 0, BC 40%, HP 40, 945 rocks, RoLS 1, RoL 0, ElyR 0
icowden
android_version: 2.3 - Gingerbread

Post by icowden »

This kind of goe back to my earlier point though which is that you move from a state at level 4 where you have been following plot, to suddenly not being able to progress for quite a long time.

I am now level 8, I have almost all of the best gear available in Fallhaven and Crossglen. However, I am still not strong enough to beat the serpent king, luthor or Irogotu as they basically critical me to death within 3 rounds, while I'm hardly touching them.

I'm not bemoaning the fact that I'm going to have to grind some more to gain the neccessary stats (and a nice necklace of block, but i do strongly feel that the game would benefit from some quests that would help with the progression from level 4 to level 9 or 10 so you feel like you are engaging with andors world rather than mindless grinding.

For me, when this is released commerically (assuming that is going to happen), this would be a "give up" point for many potential phone gamers.
Dreia

Post by Dreia »

Really all they need to do is massively increase the XP gain netted out by finishing quests. Given the fact that the last quest I did I only gained 170 XP, but killing a single mob now can get me over 200. . .there is something wrong with that, seriously wrong.

It would be nice if a quest could give you up to half of the level it's geared for (IE a starter quest might give you 200 XP, a quest geared for a level 25 toon should give you 20k XP etc.

~D
~Level 33~
~HP: 65 ~ AP: 2 ~ AC: 143% ~ DMG: 23 ~ BC: 32% ~
Small Rocks: 1000 RoLS: 0
Samuel
VIP
android_version: 2.2

Post by Samuel »

kabbie1882 wrote:
6) Maybe I am doing something wrong, but the “block” status doesn’t seem to do much. I have been increasing mine since level 1, but I still get hit by very basic level creatures.
It is possible to be hit as receive damage even with 200% block chance.

You block chance 200%
monster attack chance 150%
chance that you will block 50%

At least that is how I understand it.
Just a short note. This is not 100% correct.
Have a look here.
Level: 101, XP: 18780586, Gold: 358739
HP: 398, AC: 303%, AD: 84-95, AP: 4, ECC: 12, CM: -, BC: 13%, DR: 0
RoLS: 2, ElyR: 1, RoL: 1, ChaR: 1, GoLF: 1, ShaF: 1, SRoV: 2, VSH: 1, WMC: 0, GoW: 0
lady black
android_version: 12 - Android 12

Post by lady black »

It is not so long ago that I started playing this game that I cannot remember feeling much as you do at about the same point. I thought I would never make it past those three foxes, and I remember the time the middle one respawned immediately, so I had to kill four instead of three. Not sure I lived through that one. I thought I would never save enough gold for the two +6 damage rings, the jewel of Fallhaven, and then the chain mail. Of course, I managed to miss all the inner parts of the snake cave until people started talking about snake servants and basilisks and I finally found the door past the three stones in the floor of the "last room" of the cave. It helped to have more snakes to kill.
I used much of the meat I got for healing, but sold some for the gold for outfitting myself. The 12points for 1meat are much safer than the 5 points from a minor potion of healing, in the middle of a fight. The minor potions are indeed the most cost-effective at 1 gold/point, but the meats are free and heal twice as much. I still use mainly meat and regular potions of healing more than I use bonemeal potions, though this is heresy to most players at any medium-to-high level. I used a number of bonemeal potions in the Prim-Backwater Mountain complex because I was taking so much damage I would have died otherwise, but actually prefer meat and regular potions that I can accumulate free in the snake and gargoyle caves, and some other places. So you can make up your own mind about using or selling the meat. I tend to dislike any post that tells me I "have to" do something. Having said that, however, I will now join the chorus telling you that you "have to" put your level up points to the AC and AD, at least for a while, so that you can attack monsters effectively without giving them too many chances to hit at you.
LVL 108; XP 23,138,749; Gold 1,827,209; 4/23/12
HP 130; AP 4/12; AC 328; AD 55-66; CC 9; CM 0; BC 127; DR 2
RoLS 4; RoL 2; ElyR 4; ChaR 11; GoLF 4; ShaF 4
S Rgn, SP: 1:CE,Ev,SM,EB,PB; 2:WA,HH,Cl,BS,MC,BC,CS,QL,IF,Rgn,MF
BradFord014
android_version: 2.1 - Eclair

Post by BradFord014 »

I've got to agree that there is a serious experience curve after a few quests.
Image Level: 6, Experience: 3401, Attack Chance: 112%, Attack Damage: 5-8, Attack Cost: 5, Critical Hit Chance: 0%, Block Chance: 11%,