v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

New collector quest

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
JohnyPvpGod
android_version: 4.1 - Jellybean

New collector quest

Post by JohnyPvpGod »

Gems are practically worthless, so having an npc who accepts them in exchange for more money than the average trader would be good

Dzem: old man with a passion for gems, gives a new quest[Shiny Ambitions] to collect every gem in the game and to bring them to him, lives south-west of fallhaven in the empty house
after completing the quest he will buy gems in exchange for money

Dialog 1: (hello, are you looking for something?)
Dialog option 1 (Im looking for my brother Andor, have you seen him?) Dialog response (No sorry, i havent had a visitor in ages)
Dialog option 2 (Im looking for a job, do you have one for me?) Dialog response (Yes, there is something you could help an old man with)
Dialog 2: (Ever since i've been young i've always wanted to collect every gem there is in the world, however the monsters away from fallhaven were too strong for me to handle, so i retired, and have been living here ever since, i see the young me in you, could you help me fulfill my childhood ambitions?)
Dialog option 1: (Maybe, if there is something in for me) Dialog response (i don't have much but i still hold on to my old traveling equipment, i will let you have it)
Dialog option 2: (If i come across a rare gem on my travels, i will bring it to you) Dialog response (Thank you kid, good luck on your journey!)

Dialog 1 after accepting quest (Hey [name] have you brought me a new kind of gem?)
Dialog option 1: (No sorry, if i find anything i will bring it to you [end of dialog])
Dialog option if player has a glass gem: (I found a glass one[lose glass gem][100xp) Dialog response: (Thanks [name] if you have a new kind of gem bring it to me
Dialog option if player has a ruby gem (I found a ruby[lose ruby][250xp]) Response is the same for every gem
And so onwards for every gem, Polished, Sharpened, Sparkling and Azure.
Dialog after bringing all gems to Dzem: (Im really grateful to you [name] you have done something young me couldn't, here, have my old traveling equipment[player gains Dzem's old armor and a sword][5000xp])
Dialog 2 after bringing all gems (if you have more gems, bring them to me, i will buy them at a higher price than a merchant would, good luck on your travels!)

Dialog after finishing quest (Hello [name] got any gems to sell?)

Afterwards player will be able to sell gems in bulk at x5 the market price. I hope anyone reading this liked my idea
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Re: New collector quest

Post by rijackson741 »

The quest is nice. Finally a use for those gems, other than small amounts of gold! Selling them at 5x the normal price is a little tricky. The price of an item is linked to the item, not to the NPC. It could be done via dialog, but not via a normal shop list.

Edit. Maybe extend the quest a little. When you give him a complete collection of gems he tells you there are some rare crystals somewhere in the Remgard area. There are both blue and red ones. He would like one of each to add to his collection. When you give him the crystals he says what he would really like is to add a very rare gem, the gem of warmth, to his collection. He has a few oegyth crystals, and will give you two of them in exchange for one gem of warmth. You can decline to do this, and end the quest (because no quest will ever require a very rare drop to complete), or you can agree, in which case you can't end the quest without getting that GoW :twisted:
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1
JohnyPvpGod

Post by JohnyPvpGod »

Extending the quest is a good idea! now i just have to learn how to turn this into an actual npc :D Edit: it seems difficult as i have no knowledge of writing code
JohnyPvpGod

Post by JohnyPvpGod »

Ok, i've extended the quest just as you suggested

Dialog after bringing all normal gems

Dzem: Those are all magnificent! Thank you [player], However..
Player: However?
Dzem: Back in my adventuring days, i've heard rumors of monsters, roaming the Remgard mountain side, carrying never seen before, red and blue crystals, on their back.
Dzem: I would be delighted if you could bring me one of each
Player: I will look out for those crystals [End conversation]
Player: Are you sure the rumors are true?
Dzem: Im not sure, as i have not encountered such monster, however it's worth checking
Player: Sure, if there is a good reward in for me
Dzem: If you manage to find one of each crystal, i will give you a trinket, that saved my life more than once [Mythril ring: 25BC 1DR] sprite:https://imgur.com/U5NOZUe
Player: I will look out for those crystals [End conversation]
------
Dzem: Have you found any of the crystals?
Player: I have found the [red/blue] crystal
Dzem: Magnificent! the rumors were true afterall! find the other one in that same area, and bring it to me!
Dzem: Thank you [player] for finding them, after years, i thought the rumors were just rumors, but you really found them, here take this [Mythril Ring] [10000xp] Talk to me again later, i've got another job for you!

I will write the other quest for gem of warmth later :P
ruleofthirds13
android_version: 5.1 - Lolipop

Post by ruleofthirds13 »

wishing that this quest is repeatable so that you can do whenever you have gem when you're farming.
rijackson741
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by rijackson741 »

@JohnyPvpGod On Discord you asked about how to create a NPC. That's actually pretty easy to do, but if you want to try and create the quest you suggest there's more to it than just that.

But, as they say, a journey of a thousand miles begins with but a single step :D . So the first thing you need to do is install the Andor's Trail content studio. See here: https://andorstrail.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4806. That means also installing a copy of the Java runtime environment, and a copy of the sources for the game. See the same post for information. Then create a project in ATCS. You can call it anything, but it's preferable to stick to lower case alphanumeric characters, and underscores (so no spaces!). If you get that up and running, the next thing you should do is look at some existing NPCs, and their dialog structure.

Let me know if you get that far, and we'll take the next step.
Level:71, XP:6493739, PV:608, FQ:84
HP:210, AC:212, AD:58-77, AP:4, ECC:16%, CM:1.5, BC:188, DR:3
Gold: 237559 | RoLS:1, RoL:1, GoW:1, VSH:1, RoFLS:1, WoB:1
HH:1, WA:1, CS:2, Cl:1, IF:4, Ev:3, Re:2, WP:DA:1, WP:1S:1, WP:B:1, AP:L:1, FS:DW:2, S:DW:1