v0.8.9 (Bugfixes + translations) released to Google Play!

Useful links
Source code of the game - Contribution guide - ATCS Editor - Translate the game on Weblate - Example walkthrough - Andor's Trail Directory - Join the Discord
Get the game (v0.8.9) from Google, F-Droid, our server, or itch.io

Areas, difficulty, main quest route

Unstructured ideas, requests and suggestions for the development of the game.
CKork
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Areas, difficulty, main quest route

Post by CKork »

Hey all.

I was always wondering, whether it would make more sense, if the main quest took you on a different route on the beginning.
basically it`s like
  • crossglen
    Fallhaven
    Vilegard
    green maze
Now, talking about difficulty if these areas and level requirements, the main quests leads you into one of the most dangerous areas in the game almost in the beginning.
There are easier access areas that would help you progress easier and with less dread.
Now, I understand it is an exploration and open world game. And most of us are around long enough to know where to go when.
But in a final version, wouldn`t it make more sense, if the main quest at least lead you in the right direction and areas in a logical order of difficulty?

I wonder whether it is possible to have the main quest altered and some intermediate stops implemented.
  • Crossglen
    Fallhaven
    Vilegard
    Stoutfort
    Black Water Mountain Area
    Duleian Road road trip (gargoyle cave to crossroads)
    Brimshaven
    Then Remgard or Maze
Andor's "Vanilla" Bro
:ElyR x1:RolS x2:RoflS x1:RoL x2:HoF x1:ChaR x2:GoLF x1:ShaF x2:SRoV x1:VSH x3:WMC x1:GoW x2:BD x1:HS x2:
LVL 35 (+24 dmg, 2x IF, next to no quests & unique bosses, xp saved 2get2 lvl 80 straight)
Tomcat
VIP
android_version: 7.0

Re: Areas, difficulty, main quest route

Post by Tomcat »

The steps in the main quest are not necessarily supposed to be your direct route through the landscape, for the reasons you note. Not every location needs to have a tie in to the Search. But besides the one you list, there are currently other clues to be found in three other locations.

Your second list looks like a decent subset of the game in a fairly reasonable order in terms of level required, though there are definitely some options along the way - which is part of the intent. If there was only 1 canonical path that was workable, the game wouldn't be nearly as interesting.
Norbert
Lvl:52 XP:2597576 AP:12 HP:124 AC:282 AD:30-42 CHS:27 CM:2.0 ECC:18% BC:132 DR:2
Skills: CS:2 IF:2 Ev:3 Rg:1 DgPro:1 1HPro:2 LtAPro:2 FS-DW:2 Sp-DW:1
Equip: FP BSS JoF RoP PRoB SrpHbk GoLF EnhCH EnhCB
Other: DotSP VD GoW FB TG RoD+6 Oegyth:6
Gonk
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Gonk »

Hello CKork, I like your suggestion and also see the problem that the main quest guides you very early to a too difficult area.

I would be interested in the oppinion of other players. Currently only a part of the steps give a guidance. What about the open world concept, etc
Grim Reaper
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Grim Reaper »

I am fond of it as well. There is also that main quests seems too short as it is to me, i would love more steps to it then there currently is, considering we surely have more than 70% of main quest completable so far.
Last edited by Grim Reaper on Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  • [RoL] Rapier of lifesteal (X2)
  • [RoLS] Ring of lesser Shadow
  • [RoFLS] Ring of far lesser Shadow
  • [HoF] Helm of Foreseeing
  • [Sh] Serpant's hauberk
  • [M] Marrowtaint
  • [BoG] Boots of the Globetrotter
  • Troublemaker's gloves
DanielS
VIP
android_version: 10 - Android 10

Post by DanielS »

Maybe solution could be a simple quest which will lead us from Vilegard to Stutford? Some kind of signpost.
Nut
android_version: 8.0

Post by Nut »

There is a simple and technical reason, that the main quest is so short until now: It is because the quest steps are in shown in a fixed sequence, and cannot be shown in the order when they are achieved. That's why we add so many independent side quests instead of adding content for the main quest.
We are planning to change the engine, so that quest steps can be sorted in timeline. Then it will be much easier to work on the main quest again.
Nut
Grim Reaper
android_version: 9.0 - Pie

Post by Grim Reaper »

Great, good luck to all of you!
  • [RoL] Rapier of lifesteal (X2)
  • [RoLS] Ring of lesser Shadow
  • [RoFLS] Ring of far lesser Shadow
  • [HoF] Helm of Foreseeing
  • [Sh] Serpant's hauberk
  • [M] Marrowtaint
  • [BoG] Boots of the Globetrotter
  • Troublemaker's gloves
Gonk
android_version: 8.1 - Oreo

Post by Gonk »

Implementing to show quest steps in achieved order is one solution.

There are others:
  • Accepting that the order is wrong; we already have this for at least one of the main quest steps.
  • It would also work to give directions without a quest log entry and just by a dialogue.
  • Another solution would be to force the order like it is done with the first steps. So person B will only talk to you about Andor after person A sent you.
Of course it would still be possible to visit the places in random order.